[Solved] Java in OpenOffice Base?

Discuss the database features
PC_Confused

[Solved] Java in OpenOffice Base?

Post by PC_Confused »

I am having trouble getting a database program running on my laptop. On my desktop,running Windows 10, I created a database and it runs very well. I copied that database over to my laptop (running Windows 7) so I could take it on the road, and I can't even get the Open Office database to load? It keeps asking for a copy of Java runtime environment (JRE). I checked my system and it shows I have Java loaded. I uninstalled Java, downloaded a fresh copy and installed it again, the downloader says Java is downloaded, but when I try to open a table, I get that runtime missing notice. I've gone into Tools > Options and it brings up a Java options screen. The box for Use a Java runtime environment is checked, but it isn't showing any JRE being installed. I am running Open Office 4.1.3 and my system show I have Java JRE-8u161-windows-x64 installed.
Why can't I get Open Office to see that Java JRE file? Does the new Open Office 4.1.5 still require Java? I am using Mozilla Firefox Quantum 59.0.1 (64-bit) as my browser, and I get a message something about Mozilla not supporting Java apps, but I should still be able to use Mozilla to download Java and use it in Open Office, shouldn't I?
Last edited by robleyd on Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved] [robleyd, Moderator]
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 7
RoryOF

Re: Java in OpenOffice Base?

Post by RoryOF »

OpenOffice, being a 32 bit application, needs a 32 bit Java. You must download and install this, then select it (on first use) in /Tools /Options /OpenOffice : Java. It will live happily beside the 64 bit Java that Windows has installed. After installing it in Windows, you may need to reboot your computer so that it shows up.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
PC_Confused

Re: Java in OpenOffice Base?

Post by PC_Confused »

Thank you again, RoryOF, for your quick reply and information. I had a little trouble finding a copy of 32-bit Java, but I found it and downloaded it. I had to use my old Internet Explorer, Firefox kept showing I was using a 64-bit system and was only offering Java 64 bit. Anyhow, the 32-bit Java is installed and the Open Office Database opened and seems to be working just fine.
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 7