[Solved]"Mirroring" data from spreadsheet to an Access table

Discuss the database features
christos73

[Solved]"Mirroring" data from spreadsheet to an Access table

Post by christos73 »

Hello everyone,

I 'm using an aplication and when i add a new item, i must update 2 times 2 different bases. One for the aplication. And second for my total database-file.
What i want is connecting spreadsheet with table of database-file (mirroring) so when i add new fields automatically be copied into same table-database cell.

The application which i use, uses an .mdb (ms access) file so i can't do that from openoffice. I don't want to use ODBC-connection because I'd like to avoid copy paste etc.

"Connecting to an existing database" from Database wizard it doesn't solve my problem. That would be the best solution for me but i can't because it's an.mdb file.

When i connect to database with F4 and then i press button "Data to text icon" i can transfer data from table to spreadsheet. That's ok.
But when I'm trying the opposite way of this action of "data to text" i can't.

Any suggestion.
Attachments
table_oo1.png
Last edited by christos73 on Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 - -
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: "mirroring" data from spreadsheet to base table

Post by Villeroy »

Simply use a database and forget about spreadsheets.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
christos73

Re: "mirroring" data from spreadsheet to base table

Post by christos73 »

I' m a not a programmer to create a new application with database.
I only need to work with (application db-file). If this is possible.
Nocton
Volunteer

Re: "Mirroring" data from spreadsheet to Base table

Post by Nocton »

If you have a database, why are you using a spreadsheet to enter the data? What is the point of the database?
Once you have entered the data into the database, then you could use a spreadsheet connected to the database to display it. Alternatively use a spreadsheet to enter and display the data and forget about the database.
OpenOffice 4.1.12 on Windows 10
christos73

Post by christos73 »

The database which i use (entering data) it's ms access-file and part of application i use.
The only way until now adding data it's only copy-paste from spreadsheet and then paste them into table.
I don't know another way of doing this. And apparently I'm going to continue in this manner until i finish entering about 6.000 - 8.000 items.
Why i'am doing this ok look:
In spreadsheet i m entering the barcodes, description, and price with VAT.
On a second sheet all these data that i 've entered is being "mirrored" with "=sheet1" command and immediately i have: prices(without vat), barcodes, and descriptions.
So i copy these new items in the table. I enter 10, 20, maybe 50 each day. There about 5.000-6.000 codes.
If i must do it from the application i have to adjust 5-6 settings for adding a new item.
With the way i mention you i enter only one time and then copying them into table.
Well it 'll take me some time, but when i'll finished I ll not have to do it again. :D
Thanks for the interest and
Have a nice day!
Nocton
Volunteer

Post by Nocton »

Well, since your application is MS Access then I suggest you use MS Excel not Calc. In fact, contrary to the heading of this thread you are not wanting to transfer data from a spreadsheet to a Base table, but from a spreadsheet to an Access table. Base and Access are two totally different applications. It appears that you are entering data directly into an Access table from the spreadsheet. What you need is to create an Access form to enter your data. That would be a simpler, quicker and more reliable way of entering you data. But this is not the forum to guide you if you need help - go to an Access forum. Access has wizards to help you create your form so the process should not be difficult for you.
OpenOffice 4.1.12 on Windows 10
christos73

"Mirroring" data from spreadsheet to Base table

Post by christos73 »

ok. i see.

So i must buy access and find some time to work with forms.
I thought maybe it could be done with code of SQL and a macro command connected.
But anyways Forms is indeed is a good solution.
Thanks again! :super: