[Solved] Copy one record from Base and paste to Calc

Discuss the database features
PC_Confused

[Solved] Copy one record from Base and paste to Calc

Post by PC_Confused »

I have a Database with about 180 members records in it. The membership varies from year to year. What I would like to do is to be able to remove one record from the Database and then copy that record into a Spreadsheet (called archive or something) so I can return that name to the Database without having to type all of the information back in again. I've found I can copy the record from Base and copy that one record into a row in the Spreadsheet. It does take a little massaging to get the record displayed correctly, but I've done that. I've hit a brick wall, trying to get that record copied from the Spreadsheet and paste it into the Database. Am I going about this the wrong way, is there a better way, or what I'm trying to do just can't be done as I had hoped?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 7
RoryOF

Re: Copy one record from Base and paste to Calc

Post by RoryOF »

Why not add a field to your database. which you mark as true for a current member, false for a retired member, and write a simple report to show the archived members. No need for Calc at all!
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
PC_Confused

Post by PC_Confused »

RoryOF - Thank you for your quick reply and suggestion. Something as you suggested would work, if we didn't use the query feature to print out a monthly roster of active members. Is there a way to hide the members that have left, from this printout, using the True or False field?
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

Use a query as the data source for your report, something like

Code: Select all

SELECT * FROM "ROSTER" WHERE "ACTIVE" = TRUE;
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
PC_Confused

Post by PC_Confused »

Thank you UnklDonald418 for your reply and suggestion. I tried that and it worked like I was trying to get it to. I think that QSL language helped a lot. I was able to get the query to displayed like I wanted, but I couldn't figure out how to use "TRUE" or "FALSE" and I ended up just using the Boolean "Yes" or "No" option. It worked, I just don't put a check beside the names I don't want to display when I print out a roster. I'll still play with it, before I close this thread.
Again, thank you both for your suggestions. :D
LilZebra

Post by LilZebra »

PC_Confused wrote: I tried that and it worked like I was trying to get it to. I think that QSL language helped a lot.
QSL (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QSL_card) is amateur radio terminology. I think you meant SQL (Structured Query Language) database language developed by IBM.
LibreOffice 6.1.3.2 (Linux Fedora 29 on x86_64) with 'Notebookbar'
OpenOffice.org since 2002-12. LibreOffice user since 2013-current.
HSQLDB 2.5.0
PC_Confused

Re: [Solved] Copy one record from Base and paste to Calc

Post by PC_Confused »

LilZebra - Being a Ham Radio Operator, for numerous years, I admit I did misuse that QSL (which is Ham shorthand for I acknowledge your transmission) for SQL (that I don't really understand at all). That single line of SQL that UnklDonald418 gave me helped me solve my problem with my my database. I admit that I was listening to my radio at the time, so QSL was probably on my mind. Are you a Ham?
LilZebra

Re: [Solved] Copy one record from Base and paste to Calc

Post by LilZebra »

@PC_Confused,

Yeah, I studied amateur radio in 1992 and became VE4JAF in '93. Bought a 2 metre ICOM P2AT...and then the graphical Web came into being. Suddenly there were much fewer to talk to on 2 metres. I lost interest and sold the handheld to a friend.

In '94 bought my first PC database software at a local computer expo -- dBase IV 2.0. Really frustrating to learn (without YouTube like we have now). Then at the same time OS/2 Warp was just released, and included IBM Works with a graphical flat file database. I used that to create a contact list for a transit rider group I lead in '97-'99.
LibreOffice 6.1.3.2 (Linux Fedora 29 on x86_64) with 'Notebookbar'
OpenOffice.org since 2002-12. LibreOffice user since 2013-current.
HSQLDB 2.5.0