[Solved] New 4.1.5 & database

Discuss the database features
Syndee Lee

[Solved] New 4.1.5 & database

Post by Syndee Lee »

I am setting up a used laptop with Windows 7 on it. I downloaded the new OpenOffice 4.1.5 and am trying to use it for my recipe files. It wants me to set up a database and won't allow me to use it until I do.
What is a database?
Why do I need one?
How do I create one if I must?
Is there any way to be able to use OpenOffice 4.1.5 without using a database? If so, how?
I just want to do the files the simple way I used to do them.I know I probably sound ignorant but I have severe dyslexia and really just need things simple instead of complicated.
Can anyone please help me????
Windows 7
Open Office 4.1.5
Bill
Volunteer

Re: New 4.1.5 & database

Post by Bill »

How did you do the files before? If you just wan't to create text files, then use OpenOffice Writer instead of OpenOffice Base.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
LilZebra

Post by LilZebra »

No you don't really need a Base database to store your favourite Recipes in.

You can use Writer.

But...if you MUST or prefer to use Base, here is How to do it.:

Step 1. Press Base button to create a New database. And call it Recipes.odb.

Step 2. Select the Tables button and use the 'Use Wizard to Create Table'.

Step 3. There are 'Sample Tables' already configured. You don't have to 'Reinvent the Wheel'. Some are for 'Business' while others are for 'Personal'. Choose 'Personal' cause that's where the per-configured table for Recipes is at.

Step 4. Scroll down till you find Recipes. See the field names there ... Use the '>>' button to select 'em all OR choose the ones you abs. can't do without.

Step 5. Keep pressing Next / Forward until Finish.

Step 6. Set up a Form so that you can work with the Recipes easier instead of in Table view.

Step 7. The fields Description and Instructions should be set for CLOB (Character LOB) as like a Memo field so that it can store a fair bit of text.

That's it.

Have fun.
LibreOffice 6.1.3.2 (Linux Fedora 29 on x86_64) with 'Notebookbar'
OpenOffice.org since 2002-12. LibreOffice user since 2013-current.
HSQLDB 2.5.0
Syndee Lee

Post by Syndee Lee »

Thank you all very much. The problem is solved. All I saw was database but I looked for writer and found what I didn't know was there.
Windows 7
Open Office 4.1.5