Unable to edit forms/tables after downloading from cloud

Discuss the database features
Skrej

Unable to edit forms/tables after downloading from cloud

Post by Skrej »

Hi all,

Very new (as in today) using Base. I managed to create a form and table using some old CSV data as a test.

Everything's working fine (meaning I can view and edit records in the form) when I use a file on my local machine. However, since this is to be a group project, the file needs to be stored on our group's Sharepoint site so that various people can update and edit it.

I discovered that I need to upload the .odb and .odt files to Sharepoint to view the data. This allows me to open and review the records from Sharepoint.

However, what I've discovered is that if I open the file from Sharepoint, although I can view records, I can't edit them. Nothing happens when I try typing in any of the textboxes. I'm a bit confused as to why, since as i said, I can view and edit records if I open a copy directly from my computer.

Any insight as to what I need to do differently? If it helps, I can tell you that it is an embedded database in a HSQL database engine, according to my status bar.

Thanks in advance.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Re: Unable to edit forms/tables after downloading from cloud

Post by UnklDonald418 »

Since no one has replied to this yet I will offer my limited knowledge.
I don't use Sharepoint but one description I found
SharePoint is a web-based, collaborative platform that integrates with Microsoft Office.
On the surface Microsoft Office and Open Office have similar functionality but you don't have to dig very deep to discover that Open Office is not a clone.
I'm not aware of a way to directly edit Open Office files on a cloud site. I sometimes use a cloud site to store backups. I do all my editing locally and then upload the file to a cloud folder.
It is possible to run Base in a multi user client/server environment. For a recent discussion of that see
Attempting multi-user server mode
You should also be aware that the Embedded database model supplied by default with Base is a convenient format for learning but isn't really suitable for any serious database uses. The .odb file is actually a zip archive containing a number of files and includes queries, forms and reports. In the Embedded database model the data tables are also contained in that archive in a compressed format. That means that after each edit session all the data must be compressed and archived into the .obd file. If anything goes wrong during that process it can result in losing ALL your tables.
You are also limited to version 1.8 of the HSQL database engine which is about 10 year old, so it lacks a number of current SQL functions.
Those problems can be resolved by using a split database model with a more recent version of the HSQL database engine.
Create a new 'split' HSQL 2.x database
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Unable to edit forms/tables after downloading from cloud

Post by Villeroy »

May be I underestimate that platform. I doubt that HSQL can be executed on Microsoft Sharepoint. You need your own server where you are free to run anything you want.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice