Program crashed and I lost my tables

Discuss the database features
mariana98

Program crashed and I lost my tables

Post by mariana98 »

I was working on a table in Base and the system crashed. It erased the tables even though the information was already saved (at least 80%). Instead I am left with a file .odb. lck Can someone help me recover the information?
Open Office 4.1.5
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Re: Program crashed and I lost my tables

Post by UnklDonald418 »

Before doing anything make a backup of your .obd file.
Open any OO module and select Tools->Options->Open Office->Paths. Look on the list to find the Backups folder and note the path to that folder. With a file browser navigate to that folder and little luck there will be a usable backup stored there.
If you find nothing there then you could try the recommendations found at
Recovering a damaged odb file
Report back whether you were successful or not.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
the_watchmann

Post by the_watchmann »

It's an age old Base bug that annoyingly won't go away. I learned the hard way not to trust in the HSQL database of Base. Instead, why not create a sqlite3 database with all your tables etc, then via ODBC link base to it. I have had no crashes/ losses for at least three years now since going over to sqlite3. Just install sqliteodbc (windows or linux). https://crcok.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/ ... ffice-org/
https://www.openoffice.org/documentatio ... SQLite.pdf
OpenOffice 4 Linux Mint 17.2
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

mariana98 wrote:I was working on a table in Base and the system crashed. It erased the tables even though the information was already saved (at least 80%). Instead I am left with a file .odb. lck Can someone help me recover the information?
The lock file contains no useful information - it is merely a housekeeping file to prevent multiple access to the main file in circumstances that a user has several copies of the file open and gets confused which copy is being edited, or in a business situation to permit only the first user to make changes to the file.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

The problem isn't with HSQL as the_watchmann suggests. The problem is with the default Embedded database model used by Base. Any type of connection that stores the data outside of the .obd zip file solves the problem.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11