Unable to add or change values on a Dbase table

Discuss the database features
Geometroid74

Unable to add or change values on a Dbase table

Post by Geometroid74 »

I just downloaded OpenOffice 4.1.5 and when I converted my old Access Database to OpenOffice I could edit any values in the table. It's like it's read only but I don't have the foggiest idea how to change this. Can anyone help please?
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Re: Unable to add or change values on a Dbase table

Post by UnklDonald418 »

The tables in Micrsoft Access databases often don't have Primary Key values associated with the records. The HSQLDB database engine used by Base requires them, so your .mbd database tables remain read only.
Keep your existing connection open, and the create a new Base database.
In your Microsoft Access connection select a table name and Copy (<Ctrl>C) it to the clipboard.
In the Tables area of the newly created Base database Paste (<Ctrl>V) the clipboard. That should open a Copy table dialog.
You can change the Table name to something more meaningful than the default Table1
Select Definition and Data and also Create primary key options.
Click on Finish. With a little luck it will save a table that can be edited.
If it reports Errors in writing the new table that is usually caused by columns in the source table containing text that is more than 60 characters long. If that happens you can get more options on the extra pages of the Copy table dialog by clicking Next instead of Finish on the first dialog page.
Report back here if you need help with that.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
Geometroid74

Post by Geometroid74 »

This is literally my first time using this program... so let's start at the beginning. What is a connection and how do I keep it open?
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

I converted my old Access Database to OpenOffice
To do that, you selected Connect to an existing database when you first opened the Base startup dialog. Look in the lower left corner of your Base window to see the type of connection you have. It will probably show Microsoft Access.
If you select Create a new database when you open the Base startup dialog it will lead you through the process to create a new Base document that shows Embedded database as the connection type.
"Keeping it open" simply means that the Base window is visible on your desktop.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11