Extracting Row in multiple tabs by keyword

Discuss the database features
leogarcia1988ha

Extracting Row in multiple tabs by keyword

Post by leogarcia1988ha »

Hello I'm new here. My name is Leo.

I have a database of keywords in diffrent tabs and would like to know if there is a way to pull information out of this tabs and display it.

i.e.

I would like all the rows that contain the word "fish" in all the tabs to display on "this tab"

I have been trying to do it for one tab...

HLOOKUP(fish;A5:E104; )

No success though.

Can someone please let me know how to do this.

Thank you
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Re: Extracting Row in multiple tabs by keyword

Post by UnklDonald418 »

Welcome to the forum Leo.
HLOOKUP is a spreadsheet function used in files with an .ods extension to search for data stored in spreadsheet cells. If you are using a spreadsheet your question would be better asked in the Calc area of the forum.
Databases have a file extension of .obd and require Queries written in SQL to display data stored in database tables. If you are using a database we would at minimum need to know the name and structure of the database table(s) to help you write a Query.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
leogarcia1988ha

Post by leogarcia1988ha »

Hello. This are the table titles on the spreadsheet

Keyword Search Volume CPC Competition Number of Results
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

I have limited knowledge of spreadsheets, but looking at your HLOOKUP function call I see a couple of problems. To keep from generating an error message:
The word fish needs to be surrounded by double quotes.
That function requires 3 arguments and you only have 2.
But even if you get that working I don't think it will achieve what you are seeking. Using a filter might lead to results you are seeking, but as I stated earlier
If you are using a spreadsheet your question would be better asked in the Calc area of the forum.
Chapter 13 of the Calc Users Guide describes the implementation of a simple database using a spreadsheet but there are required workarounds and a number limitations and caveats.

A relational database implemented in Base can have far more functionality, but the cost is that not only must you learn about proper relational database design you also need to learn SQL, the language of databases and then of course Base form design.
Base is a front end for a database engine, usually HSQLDB although it can be configured to use other engines as well. Database engines like HSQLDB are powerful tools for storing and retrieving information contained in database tables, however the formatting of their output is quite limited. The Base front end has many formatting capabilities allowing the data to be presented in a more user friendly manner.
If you are interested in pursuing a Base database here is a tutorial
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ima ... torial.pdf
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11