[Solved] Trying to make database reports

Discuss the database features
BirdMan

[Solved] Trying to make database reports

Post by BirdMan »

I have MS Access on another computer that I made a database and am transferring the info from that computer with windows 7 professional to mine with windows 8.1 and have openoffice 4.1.5 I just downloaded to replace the 4.1.4 I thought might have a problem, which when I go to 'reports' and try the popup that I need JRE installed to work. I redownloaded JRE 64 bit and now looking at Add Ons the JRE is not compatible and won't work to make reports. Is there a way to tell my computer it is compatible or make it compatible?

Dale Cantrell

ps after I posted I saw at lower left I had 4.1.1 version??
Last edited by BirdMan on Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office 4.1.1 / Windows 8.1
LilZebra

Re: Trying to make database reports

Post by LilZebra »

Locate, download and install the 32-bit version of the Java Runtime Environment.

http://javadl.oracle.com/webapps/downlo ... d704f6dcbf

You can have both installed.
LibreOffice 6.1.3.2 (Linux Fedora 29 on x86_64) with 'Notebookbar'
OpenOffice.org since 2002-12. LibreOffice user since 2013-current.
HSQLDB 2.5.0
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Better install LibreOffice instead of OpenOffice. LO for Windows is availlable in 64bit which interfaces with a 64bit Java runtime. LO has the report builder integrated. LO is a well maintained descendant of OpenOffice.

Base is just a bridge between databases and office documents. A wider definition of a "report" includes any office document that is filled with database data.
1) An "old style" report embedded in the Base document loads a database row set into a Writer table.
2) A report builder report embedded in the Base document loads one or more database row sets into freely arrangable form controls and charts.
3) A serial letter or label printout loads database data into the running text of a stand-alone Writer document.
4) You can also copy database row sets easily into a stand-alone Writer document which creates something very similar to 1) but with static data.
5) You can copy or link database row sets easily into a stand-alone Calc document with all the additional features of a spreadsheet (my favourite reporting tool).
6) You can create pivot tables in stand-alone Calc documents from database row sets.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
BirdMan

Post by BirdMan »

I already have had the 32 bit before I got the 64 bit as I thought maybe that might do the trick which it didn't.

This morning I check the table, query, form and report clicking on using wizard and got the same message on all four.

Around 1990 I used Access to make several db's for employee training, vacations and such. That was many years ago and I have a problem remembering any more :roll:

I might try LibreOffice and see what happens. Thank you.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Having an old Access mdb, the connectivity drivers made by Microsoft and any version of Open/LibreOffice, you can connect a Base document to the mdb file and use any of the external report types 3) to 6). This does not require any Java at all.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/downloa ... x?id=13255

File>New>Database
[X] Connect to existing db
Type: MS Access
SPecify the mdb file
[X] Register the db
Save the db

Test your tables and queries. Access queries will be shown as views.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
BirdMan

Post by BirdMan »

I finally have the forms and report wizards working! Yea, this after searching and found OO uses 32 bit.

I uninstalled the Java apps using Revo Uninstaller, I then downloaded both the 32 bit first before downloading the 64 bit version. I have them both on now. So far making the forms and reports is working. Definitely different than Access flipping between design and viewing data screens, at least for the present.

So I will post that it works now! Or will try. Thank you everyone, by the way I have gotten libreoffice also.
robleyd

Re: (Solved)Trying to make database reports

Post by robleyd »

You might find How to update your signature helpful to update the information in your signature.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers