Database won't open

Discuss the database features
nels

Database won't open

Post by nels »

I began using odb several years ago, to keep track of an ever expanding collection of data.
Today, when I tried to edit the file, it wouldn't open. A filter selection dialog appears. Available filter list goes: "Microsoft Word 97/2000 / XP template" and, then, "ODF Chart".
There is no odb.

Is this the problem? Can I fix it?
OOo 4.1.2 Win 10
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Re: Database won't open

Post by UnklDonald418 »

Look at Tools->Options->Open Office->Paths->Backups to find the directory where automatic backups are stored. With a little luck you might find a usable backup there.
If you don't find anything there then look at this tutorial
[Tutorial] Recovering a damaged odb file
Report back here to let us know whether you succeeded or not. Sometimes one of Volunteers here can recover at least some of the data.

Data loss is a common problem with Embedded Base databases so frequent backups are necessary.
To dramatically reduce the chances of data loss in the future you should consider using a Split database. There are a couple of tutorials on doing that.
[Wizard] Create a new 'split' HSQL 2.x database
[Tutorial] Splitting an "embedded HSQL database"
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11