dBase Queries

Discuss the database features
Cooperman

dBase Queries

Post by Cooperman »

Hi
Im new to this forum but an experienced user of MS Access.
Ive changed over to the Mac but still use windows on my work computer. I want to create a database for fuel sales per customer... I have managed to do this but when I run a query to calculate the fuel sales OO switches off and I need to re start OO.

The main idea is to start with a volume of fuel in my vehicle, issue fuel to customers, subtract the amount of fuel from the starting level to give a fuel remaining amount and then run a query to show how much fuel has been issued and to which customer and then display the amount of fuel require to fill the vehicle.

I have managed to achieve this (theoretically) but every time I run the query using the SUM function OO crashes and I need to re start OO.

I have downloaded and run simple sum calculation demos that work, but the minute I re name columns OO crashes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.....

Best Regards

Cooperman
Open office 4.1 with Mac Sierra
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: dBase Queries

Post by Villeroy »

Welcome to this forum. Please update to the latest version of OpenOffice or better use LibreOffice instead.

The dBase driver that is shipped with this office suite is limited but still usefull for simple list keeping (what most users try to do with spreadsheets).

It does not support primary and foreign keys.
It does not support queries on more than one table.
The built-in functions are very limited: http://www.openoffice.org/dba/specifica ... tions.html

It supports indexing to enforce uniqueness and/or to improve lookup performance. Call the index designer while in table design view.
With forms and subforms you can mimic relations between tables.

You may use a 3rd-party dBase driver via ODBC or JDBC.

You better use the built-in jdbc:hsqldb which provides an (almost) full featured database driver. The embedded HSQL database is known to have problems because the Base constantly zips and unzips the whole database in and out of the document. However, it is fairly easy to convert an embedded HSQLDB to a stand-alone HSQLDB. The external one can also use a modern HSQL driver. The embedded one uses version 1.8 since 2009 or so.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice