Project management tool in Base

Discuss the database features
OpenBase1

Project management tool in Base

Post by OpenBase1 »

Dear All,

I would like to move away from spreadsheets and create a simple database that can track supplier invoices, project team timsheets (associated costs) vs our customer Po's and track KPI's to do this I have created tables.

Customers,
Income/outgoings
Projects
Quality Report
TimeBilled

I have tried to normalise the database (although I have forgotten most of what I learnt 20+ years ago now), and I have created relationships between customers - projects and then projects to the other tables.

I have created form that displays Tables Project and also Income/Outgoings.

I would now like to do simple calculations that would fill in the "remaining budget" coloumn in the projects Table using the information from table from Income/Outgoings and also the table Timebilled (which will be my teams time sheets).

how could I do this? I remember back in the Borland Paradox days I could either setup a query or calculate this in the form, but have no clue how to do it in the Base.

I do not know anything about SQL but expect that I will need something like this.

Is it possible to get templates or pre-made databases for Base that do the same thing I am doing?
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on windows
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Project management tool in Base

Post by Villeroy »

Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
OpenBase1

Post by OpenBase1 »

Hi Iam sorry but ive forgotten a lot.

I can see the examples and queries. But dont know if i need to create same number of queries.sales order - purchase order etc.

Could you explain a bit more.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on windows
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

Do you understand what is happening in the example Villeroy provided?
You didn't mention them, do you understand how the Forms work?
You won't get very far with Base without knowing at least the basics of SQL. If you search there are several web sites that have online SQL tutorials.
Database design requires detailed information of the data available and the required outputs. If you upload a sample of your database with specific questions someone here might be able to offer some guidance.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

OpenBase1 wrote:Hi Iam sorry but ive forgotten a lot.

I can see the examples and queries. But dont know if i need to create same number of queries.sales order - purchase order etc.

Could you explain a bit more.
This is a trivial example. A quick primer. One of many example documents in this forum's tutoral section.
Any "project management tool" involves dozends of tables and relations, may be hundreds of queries and months of development time. This is why database developers are high profile professionals.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice