[Solved] Adding records to DB

Discuss the database features
ksiemb

[Solved] Adding records to DB

Post by ksiemb »

Now that I can create a database (downloaded JRE), Must I create a form, in order to Input the data ? I am used to having the DB be available to enter records when I open it, but with Openoffice, I get a screen to create a form design mode or use Wizard. I have screen shot attached
Last edited by RoryOF on Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added green tick [RoryOF, Moderator]
Windows 10 Home
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Adding records to DB

Post by Villeroy »

ksiemb wrote:I am used to having the DB be available to enter records when I open it
Because someone had created tables, relations and indices.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
ksiemb

Post by ksiemb »

I do not understand what your response means, at all ! I created a data base and saved it. Later when I open it, what do I have to do to enter data into it ? Why doesn't it automatically allow me to edit or insert data into it when I open it ? That is the question. Sorry, nut Your answer makes no sense to me.
Windows 10 Home
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

I "think" Villeroy's rather cryptic remark mean that whoever set up the DB did not design a data input form, so yes, you must create a form, in order to input the data.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Solved

Post by Villeroy »

First of all you need a table with typed columns and a primary key. The table can be edited with or without input form. However, no database stores data just from your finger tips. All data are stored in tables that have to be designed before you can store any data.
Any input form writes its entered data into one or more tables.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice