Base how does it work?

Discuss the database features
dameous

Base how does it work?

Post by dameous »

Need help, just started on Base like yesterday. Went through videos after videos of how to build tables, forms, etc.

Question: So now that I've learned some basics what's next? I'm building the database for a small business where employees can access info and enter database of end customer and inventory but they shouldn't be able to see the background or be able to edit the background. How do I launch the forms into a format where my employees can fill the form only without editing? I'm building the tables and forms but can't seem to figure out how to make it live and employee facing....

I've worked on building websites where we publish it and users only see front end. But all the background is not visible.

Someone help? Or if I need to explain more please let me know and I'll try to explain it I guess.

Dameous
openoffice 4.1.2 on windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Base how does it work?

Post by Villeroy »

Base is a tiny little extra to the office suite (15 MB including all drivers).
Since 7 years it is no longer under active development.
Its main purpose is to fill spreadsheets and text documents with data from various types of already existing databases, including pseudo-databases text files, address books and spreadsheets.
The vast majority of Base documents are created automatically to establish a mail merge connection from Writer to Calc.
Base is not a database development suite.

Since 2005 the "native Base database" (status bar reads "embedded HSQLDB") consists of a zip archive (the Base "document") which wraps text documents (the forms and reports) with some configuration data SQL strings (the queries) together with a 3rd-party HSQL database (outdated version 1.8). This "native" database is editable by a single, almighty user. It is not networkable. It is not safe. To the contrary, you will lose all your data sooner or later. It is very well suited for demos and for educational purposes. What it can do, it does way better than any spreadsheet based solution will ever do. Even with embedded HSQL, Base is not a full featured database development suite. Building a non-trivial relational database with Base requires a sound understanding of design concepts and some SQL knowledge. The GUI is incomplete and unstable.
Nevertheless, I use an ODF suite (OpenOffice or LibreOffice) together with a stand-alone HSQL server since many years with great success and zero problems for todo lists, work scheduling, inventory, cash book. My databases use almost no macro code, may be 10 or 20 lines.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice