[Solved] Append Data to new database

Discuss the database features
ranril

[Solved] Append Data to new database

Post by ranril »

I have an Open Office Base I want to append to a new Open Office Base. The data in the old one seems to have a bug when I try to page up or scroll up. Multiple data of SAME record appears all the way to top of Table.
Help please,
ranril
Last edited by RoryOF on Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added green tick [RoryOF, Moderator]
Stanley Pietruszynski, OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10 Pro
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Append Data to new database

Post by Villeroy »

viewtopic.php?f=83&t=26448
Sorry. This is not a read-only topic.
Last edited by Villeroy on Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Arineckaig
Volunteer

Post by Arineckaig »

when I try to page up or scroll up. Multiple data of SAME record appears all the way to top of Table.
Welcome to the forum.
A further possibility linked to my experience since using Windows 10 is that the appearance of the same record throughout a table in Base has become more frequent. It may not necessarily require moving or appending the data to a new Base file. It appears to be linked to a feature of Base whereby not all the records are immediately loaded into memory: in such cases a rapid change of direction in scrolling through the table can have this effect.

Other contributors to this forum will offer better answers, but I have found the simplest corrective action is to select from the Form navigation toolbar, or from a Navigation form control, the last record icon to ensure all records are fully loaded into memory. Thereafter rapid scrolling up or down seldom causes this problem.

Please come back if this suggestion merely confuses or if you have other issues.
When this issue has been resolved, it would help other users of the forum if you add the word - [Solved] - to the Subject line of your 1st post (edit button top right).
AOOo 4.1.5 & LO 6 on MS Windows 10 MySQL and HSQLDB
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

I had the same issue with a grid control on a form as the record set grew beyond 1000 or so records. Since the very old records are not of any importance for this particular form, I was able to limit the record set to some 100 or 200 records and the problem went away.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
ranril

Re: Append Data to new database SOLVED

Post by ranril »

Arineckaig,
Thanks for the solution. I have 640 records & you saved me a lot of time troubleshooting this problem any further. I wasn't sure the index was fouled up or what!
I hope the OO personnel are aware of this & try to fix it as I am sending my data files to other Classmates & they are novices in database navigation.
ranril
Stanley Pietruszynski, OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10 Pro
Arineckaig
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Append Data to new database

Post by Arineckaig »

I hope the OO personnel are aware of this & try to fix it
I would not be too optimistic. By comparison with commercial programs, OpenOffice has seriously limited development resources and I suspect there are many more urgent bugs and issues to be resolved. As users we heavily rely on volunteers to develop and upgrade a program that we receive free of charge. FWIW I suggest workarounds may well be more rewarding to make the best use of all that it offers: frustration over its deficiencies can prove a higher price to pay.
When this issue has been resolved, it would help other users of the forum if you add the word - [Solved] - to the Subject line of your 1st post (edit button top right).
AOOo 4.1.5 & LO 6 on MS Windows 10 MySQL and HSQLDB