Unable to read Word address list

Discuss the database features
krautnribs

Post by krautnribs »

Since I am not really computer literate I hope I can post my problem so you understand it.
I just downloaded openoffice 4.1.3 and cannot get it to read the Microsoft office 2007 word. I cannot get it to read the address list used in word. All I know the addresses are in .MDB format. So what can I do?
Windows 10; apache openoffice 4.1.3
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

You really should start a new thread (topic) for your question. Tacking it on to the end of a totally different subject is likely to mean the question will be ignored.

That being said, you should not expect AOO---I will assume you are using Writer---to read a .MDB file. It is not a MS Word file; it is an MS Access data base file.

A quick bit of googling did not turn up much on how to import an Access db into AOO.
The best I could find was viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6201 (

I'd suggest starting a completely new thread in the Base forum asking how to import or connect to your .MDB file.
Last edited by RoryOF on Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: edit to reflect new title for thread
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

The database import filter, which starts up automatically when I start Base without a database file being specified, has settings for importing Access files.
Last edited by thomasjk on Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edit to reflect new title for thread
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Re: Unable to read Word address list

Post by UnklDonald418 »

Since you said
I am not really computer literate
maybe more detailed instructions will help.
From an Open Office Writer page select File->New->Database.
A database wizard screen should pop up. Select “Connect to an existing database”.
Just below is a list box that probably shows JDBC. Click on the down arrow to the right of that to see a list of type of databases and other documents that you can connect to. Select “Microsoft Access 2007” from the list and then click on the Next button.
A new wizard screen will allow you to browse for your .mbd file. Once your file is selected press the Next button.
The new wizard screen shows a couple of options. Make sure “Yes, register the database for me” and “Open database for editing” are both checked and the click on the Finish button.
You will then get a dialog allowing you to choose a location and name for your new database. Once that has been saved the new database will be opened. You can look in Tables to see if your addresses are in one of the tables.
Assuming everything went OK close that database and return to your Writer document.

You can verify that the addresses are now available if you press F4 to open the Data Sources pane and look through your list of registered databases for the new database you created. Click on the “+” in front your new database and again on the “+” in front of Tables. Select the name of the table containing your addresses. A list of addresses should appear on the right side of the Data Sources pane.

You should be all set to use those addresses in a Writer Mail Merge document.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11