Database should move to new server

Discuss the database features

Database should move to new server

Postby julifx » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:24 pm

A database more than 10 years old should move to a new server.

i would like change the database to the new server but the entry "server" "database" "databasename " is greyed out.

The domain of the external database, respectively user and database name.
this grayed out is not editable.

Im not well in Dbase knollage
Thx for help
OpenOffice 4.12 Window 7 - AOO412m3(Build:9782) - Rev. 1709696
julifx

Re: database should move to new server

Postby Villeroy » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:50 pm

Hire a professional if you are not able to tell us the most trivial details.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, OpenOffice 4.x & LibreOffice 6.x
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: database should move to new server

Postby MrProgrammer » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:32 pm

julifx wrote:I would like change the database to the new server but the entry "server" "database" "databasename " is greyed out.
Please search first before posting. I'm sure you can find other questions in the Base forum about this task. There you will see what information is needed before anyone could offer assistance.

I'll remind you that Base is not a database. It's a database interface. Moving a database to enother server is a database task, not an Open Office task. Consult your database's documentation for procedures to move it. (In general you would export it on the old server, copy the files, and import it on the new server.) Once you have the database on the new server, build a new interface to it in Base.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.5 Build 9789 on Mac OS 10.11.6.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
MrProgrammer
Volunteer

Re: Database should move to new server

Postby julifx » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:52 am

here is a screenshot (the dialog shows parts of the connections )
why do i cant change the entries or where is the place to change the entries.

Consult your database's documentation for procedures to move it ?
please send a link my main searchterm is "move external database open office"
and i found nothing

why do i have to crreat a new interface in base ?
i worked more than 10 years with cms systems and i could change any database with exchange the connections datas to a new database.

or if their a known workaround the manipulate the odb files to exchange the database ?
Attachments
aaaaa.jpg
julifx

Postby Villeroy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:01 pm

Your Base document is connected to a MySQL database named "comsca". That database exists completely independently from any office suite. Nobody can tell how to move some database if we do not even know the database product in use. No, Base is not a database. It does not store any data other than connection info and office documents (forms/reports).
If you want to move a MySQL database to some other server, you have to follow the routines that are described in the MySQL documentation. Then you can reconnect your Base document(s) to the moved database server. I can't tell why the input field for the computer name ("Rechnername") is disabled on your screen shot. Possibly you moved the Base document to some place where it is not editable.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, OpenOffice 4.x & LibreOffice 6.x
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby julifx » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:26 pm

Thank you very mush for the help
I know how to move database to another server. Maybe my explanation was not that well good.

You wrote „I can't tell why the input field for the computer name ("Rechnername") „ is disabled.

So usually this fields are not greyed out ? Is that right
I moved all files „dbase files“ to my computer and start this on my pc before all files was on a mac.

I dont give any data on these files (local computer ) any write protection
julifx

Return to Base