Cannot edit table fields after migrating to split database

Discuss the database features
Klavs

Cannot edit table fields after migrating to split database

Post by Klavs »

I followed this tutorial viewtopic.php?f=83&t=65980 in order to create a portable split database. However, after doing that I discover that I cannot change properties of the table fields (all greyed out). I can, though, create new fields and set any properties. After I save again all properties are greyed out. Any ideas of what causes the problem?
LibreOffice 5.2.7.2 on Mac OS Sierra
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Re: Cannot edit table fields after migrating to split databa

Post by UnklDonald418 »

Existing fields in split databases cannot be edited using the GUI.
In order to make changes to an existing field you must use Tools->SQL and enter an ALTER TABLE command.
Download a copy of the BaseHandBook
http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/documentation/
beginning on page 46 is a good description of Table Modification
After you execute the SQL command be sure to go to View->Refresh Tables so you can see the changes you made.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

I found some other links that give a better explanation of your issue.
In his tutorial on split databases posted prior to the one you referenced
viewtopic.php?f=83&t=61183
in the fourth paragraph DACM discusses the issues with using the Base GUI with split databases
There is another post
viewtopic.php?p=237133#p237133
where he discusses workarounds.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

SELECT statements across multiple tables can be very complicated, however the data definition language which lets you build tables, indices, relations and users is trivial (CREATE, DROP, ALTER, GRANT). I am not a database professional but I can build up a database by means of SQL faster than by clicking the Base GUI, given that I prepared a sheet of paper with the functional layout of tables, fields and relations.
When unsure, all you need is the script file of some existing HSQLDB.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice