Main reports and Oracle Report Builder

Discuss the database features
arfgh

Main reports and Oracle Report Builder

Post by arfgh »

Basic question about reports guys...

Is there a way to have both ways to use reports, i mean, the main reports builder and also the Oracle Report Builder, at the same time and using each one when wanted, edition, creation, watching ?

thx in advance
OpenOffice last version | Mageia Linux x64 | Ubuntu Linux | Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64 | Java last version
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Re: Main reports and Oracle Report Builder

Post by UnklDonald418 »

You can't use them both at the same time. If that's what you are asking.
You can use the Extension Manager to Disable or Remove the Oracle Report Builder. Of course you will need to completely close and restart OO before you can use the built in Report Writer wizard.
The Oracle Report Builder began as the Sun Report Builder. Here is an excerpt from the Sun Report Builder Guide
Why Sun Report Builder
Since OpenOffice.org comes with a built-in reporting feature you might wonder why you'd want to bolt another reporting engine on top of it. For starters, the built-in reporting capabilities can't be used for anything but the most simple reports. While the Report Wizard makes the process of creating a report rather straightforward, the default reporting tools are not very intuitive and not particularly flexible, which limits your ability to customize reports to your liking. The Sun Report Builder (SRB) is designed to overcome the shortcomings of the built-in reporting capabilities by adding a powerful reporting engine and a slew of nifty tools allowing you to create more advanced reports. The extension adds both advanced sorting and grouping capabilities as well as the ability to use SQL queries and functions in reports. More importantly, SRB makes it significantly easier to create a complex report layout via drag and drop. Further, SRB lets you insert charts in your reports.
In my limited experience, with the Oracle Report Builder extension enabled you can also print reports created by the built in Report Writer.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
arfgh

Post by arfgh »

well, yes, the dissabling extension. The worse is that we can run both kind reports, but when trying to edit, there is no choice.
Also, yes, the Oracle Report builder seems better, but i cant see a way to add form controls and events on it, so in just that detail, isnt better than the main report engine.....
OpenOffice last version | Mageia Linux x64 | Ubuntu Linux | Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64 | Java last version
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

Reports don't have controls or events. Have you read the Sun Report Builder documentation?
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/SUN_Re ... umentation
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Open the little form "Filter Form" and let it float on top (no problem on Linux, should be possible somehow on Windows).
The OK button reloads the ORB report.

http://www.abstractpath.com/powermenu/ ("always on top" for Windows)
Attachments
FilterData_Report.odb
Form "Filter Data" --> qReport --> Report "qReport"
Form "Filter Form" --> qReport --> Report "qReport_ORB"
(109.33 KiB) Downloaded 325 times
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
arfgh

Post by arfgh »

another very good trick from Villeroy :)
the way to filter the ORB report.

UnklDonald418, you wrong. With the main report engine, we can add controls, i also thought like you, but villeroy proved that we can add controls in reports, not ORB report. Also i got success adding events on them, and hyperlinks, but unfortunatelly not with ORB report.

At least in my case, and in my DB, the tricks on the reports resulted in a very useful document.