To Villeroy re: Tags.odb

Discuss the database features
LoriPeace9Art

To Villeroy re: Tags.odb

Post by LoriPeace9Art »

Hi, Villeroy!

You so kindly set up Tags.odb for me. :bravo:

I set up the Pictures subdirectory and put in a .jpg, and got the form to pull the .jpg in like it's supposed to.
screen capture of the form so far
screen capture of the form so far
At this point, is this a functional database that I can pull the rest of my spreadsheet into (and if so, how?), or is it a sample to show me what can be done? At the moment I don't see how to move to a second image (with its associated thumbnail, description, and tags.)

If there's a tutorial you want to point me to, rather than holding my hand and walking me through step by step, that's fine. (I have no objection to holding your hand, I just don't want to take up too much of your time! :D )

Once again, thank you SO MUCH for your help -- you're a STAR!
Lori Kingston
LibreOffice 3.5
Windows 7
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: To Villeroy re: Tags.odb

Post by Villeroy »

Click anywhere in the grey main form.

Possible operations with simple Base forms showing the "Form Navigation" toolbar:
The first section shows the record position and lets you navigate to the first|previous|next|last|"very last" record. The "very last" record is the place where you append a new record.

The second section lets you save or reset a modified record and delete a record with confirmation prompt.

There are 2 refresh buttons. The first one reloads the whole form, the second one refresh button becomes active when a list box or combo box is focussed.

The refresh buttons are followed by 3 buttons for sorting (sort by dialog, focussed field ascending or descending).

The fitering buttons:
1. Magic filter: show all records with same content in the same field as the focussed control.
2. Turn a set filter on and off.
3. Form based filter turns your form into a search device. This is a little bit complex.
4. Delete all custom sort order or filtering.

The very last button shows an additional grid view on the form.

Push the last button and you will see that I only added one test record with thumbnail "foo". In the next row you can add a new record and then assign the other attributes using the subforms.

No, you can not copy/paste your spreadsheet data into my database easily because the structure is not the same. I defined a set of tags and sites in extra tables (TAGS and PODSITES) which will be easier to maintain in the long run. Tables IMG_TAG and IMG_SITE keep track of which image belongs to which tags and sites. When you insert or delete tags or sites from the subforms, you delete rows from those tables.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice