Changing Database from Server Connection to Google Drive

Discuss the database features
calc-learner

Changing Database from Server Connection to Google Drive

Post by calc-learner »

Hi All,

Have been using a database running on a server that each computer connects on through the network. The Datasource URL was as follows:

hsqldb:hsql://Lva-server/e/Google_Drive/Tour-Gen/Database/;default_schema=true;get_column_name=false

And that worked fine.

However, I have moved the database files to a Google Drive synced folder. We can connect still over the network.

But when we try to connect through a Google Drive synced folder, the connection shows successful but no tables load.

For example, my synced folder is at C:\Users\Lenovo\Google Drive\Tour-Gen\Database. And Google has finished syncing.

So I have updated the Datasource URL to:

hsqldb:C:\Users\Lenovo\Google Drive\Tour-Gen\Database;default_schema=true;get_column_name=false

Test class is successful.
Test Connection is successful.

But then I click on Tables to find there are none showing.

Where am I going wrong?

Thank you.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2 Windows 10 Enterprise
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Changing Database from Server Connection to Google Drive

Post by Villeroy »

Install and configure hsql on the Google machine (if they let you).
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
calc-learner

Post by calc-learner »

Villeroy wrote:Install and configure hsql on the Google machine (if they let you).
I see...

Is there a work around? Basically we just need to be able to access the database from remote locations. Maybe Google Drive isn't the best way for this?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2 Windows 10 Enterprise
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Use HSQL in file mode. Install one instance of your odb on every machine, the driver and the database files (MyDB.script, MyDB.properties etc.). For reasons of data safety, I would NOT share any such files on a network because there are too many processes involved (Java, HSQL, the office suite, the Google client).
Always work with a local copy and when you finished editing, wrap the database files in a zip and snyc the zip archive with google. Archives (zip or anything) save time when synchronizing with the cloud.
Before working with the database, sync the zip, extract it to your database directory and THEN open the office files.
Sync the database document and your stand-alone forms only when you modified queries forms or reports. These documents are zip archives already. No need to zip them.

Simultanious access is handled by database servers. The above routine can not handle simultanious access from multiple users! Any upload will discard any data that have been added by the previous user.. For a single user working on different machines, this may be a viable option since you always have a copy on the other machine when things went wrong.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice