[Solved] Can't Connect to Database

Discuss the database features
acestu

[Solved] Can't Connect to Database

Post by acestu »

Hi,

I hope someone can help me please, I spent hours logging my vinyl collection on a machine with windows 7 and I think Open Office 4.1.2 , I transfered the database to a new computer with windows 10 and Open Office 4.1.3. , however now I can open the database but when i click on forms it come up with a can't connect box pictured below, any help greatly appreciated.
D_base_fault.png
D_base_fault.png (8.74 KiB) Viewed 4004 times
Thanks
Stuart
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 4.1.3 Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Please HELP Can't Connect to Database

Post by Villeroy »

Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
acestu

Re: Please HELP Can't Connect to Database

Post by acestu »

Hi Villeroy,

Thanks for your speedy reply and link, I realize now that I need a 32 bit version of Java, how confusing is it trying to get it though, I have downloaded the windows 32 bit java in your link but there dosen't seem to be an exe file to install it, does it all just reside in the folder and then you point open office to it in options/Java ?

Thanks
Stuart
acestu

Re: Can't Connect to Database

Post by acestu »

Hi,
I have installed the 32 bit Java and pointed open office to it rebooted pc , I made sure my C++ redistributable is the latest, however I still get the Java error message when I try to open the form, is there something else that I could try ?

Thanks
Stuart
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

What does the status bar of that document say? embedded HSQL?
Can you open any other embedded HSQL? Get one from this forum's tutorial section.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
acestu

Post by acestu »

Hi Villeroy,

I have just installed Libre office because I see that any java version works with this app, after installing I tried to open my database and I get the same thing ie the database opens but when i double click on forms I get the message below:
Libre_fault.png
Libre_fault.png (8.79 KiB) Viewed 3952 times
I have just seen your last reply, I will try and do what you suggest

Thanks
Stuart
acestu

Post by acestu »

Hi Villeroy,

I downloaded your Worldcup database from examples and both openoffice and Libreoffice open the database and work when i double click on the forms.

Thanks
Stuart

EDIT:

I tried changing the file extension of a copy of my file to .zip and it all seems to open with the data showing in the data folder
acestu

Post by acestu »

Ok,

I have done it, the copied file that I changed to a zip file, I renamedto a .odb file and tried to open and use the form voila it worked, meantime the original file does still not open, I don't know what has happened here but it looks like I have found a workaround.

Thanks
Stuart
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Can't Connect to Database

Post by Villeroy »

That's very strange. The name extension gives a hint to the Windows system about the prefered program to open the file. Renaming a file does not change a single byte of the file's content. Glad you solved it somehow. However, the "embedded HSQLDB" type of database has a bad reputation for its tendency to break with complete loss of data. To improve this situation, you may create a HSQLDB which is no longer embedded in your Base document.
acestu

Post by acestu »

Hi Villeroy,

Thanks for the heads up about the different format "HSQLDB" Now can I convert the recovered database to this format or do I have to start all over again if I wish to use it ?

Thanks again
Stuart
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

It's a matter of one or two minutes without risc. Just keep a copy of your original database document.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=86071
acestu

Post by acestu »

Hi Villeroy,

Thanks for your speedy reply and link, I will give it a go now.

Thanks again
Stuart
acestu

Post by acestu »

Hi Villeroy,

Worked like a charm, thanks so much for all your help, I would like to give thanks but it appears to be switched off in this forum.
conversion.png
Thanks again
Stuart
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Thank you very much for the feedback. The more people tell me about their experience, the better the chances to eliminate errors.