Performance vs. MS Access

Discuss the database features
janb90

Performance vs. MS Access

Post by janb90 »

I have MS Access on a Win7 PC with an ODBC connection to a web database (mySQL). It's sooooooo slow. The database at the moment is not thatbig, will will grow drastically. Can I expect a much better performance by installing OO Base? If it might be the same performance, I would not install it.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 7
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Performance vs. MS Access

Post by Villeroy »

Most people do not understand what Base is (nor Access). If the backend driver is slow, any frontend will be slow.
Base does not compare to MS Access by any means but it comes with a native driver for MySQL.
Oh, and it makes zero sense to install Base only. Base is just a bridge between databases and office documents. No office documents means that you won't have forms nor reports.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You may also be limited by Internet connection speeds.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
janb90

Post by janb90 »

I understood the concept of Base and Access. Nevertheless Access is slow. I also saw an Artikel from the OO group about the performance project. There They wrote, that They invreased Performance for scrollen in mysql content drastically. Thus the war Access and Base are coded has a drastic impact on overall performance. That was my question: What is the overall performance compared with MS Access?
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 7