[Solved] I have trouble finding tutorials for Base 4.x

Discuss the database features
Megafroggie

[Solved] I have trouble finding tutorials for Base 4.x

Post by Megafroggie »

Openoffice 4.1.1 on Windows 7.

The idea is to make a customer -and commission database to track my hobby work.
So far I've used a calc sheet, but with more and more people getting in touch with more and more commissions I think it's time to put some effort into making a proper customer/order system.

I've managed to understand some basics about tables, forms and databases through youtube snippets and stalking the forums, but I'm realizing that going through a tutorial document start-to-finish might be the best foundation for me.
I simply don't have the vocabulary to find the info I need, and it frustrates me to know what I need, but not have the words to find it.

Buckling down and going through a bunch of greenhorn lectures seem like the best idea at this point, but I've run into a snag: I can only find tutorials for Base 3.x, not 4.x.

So my question, and I apologize if this is indeed common knowledge*, is this:
Can I use 3.x tutorials, like the "Getting Started with Base 3" pdf, and apply that to the version I have installed, or will it not work at all?

The wiki section on Base 4 doesn't seem populated. Is there another source of info I should go to instead?
My idea was to learn as much as possible on my own, and only ask for help when I got stuck. That way I could hopefully understand how to ask for help, and probably the answer too, but I think I'm missing some info on how to...well....get info.

*couldn't find any specific info on it through search after all
Last edited by Megafroggie on Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Openoffice 4.1.1 on Windows 7
RoryOF

Re: I have trouble finding tutorials for Base 4.x

Post by RoryOF »

The 3,x tutorials and documentation are applicable to OO 4.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Megafroggie

Post by Megafroggie »

Roryof:
Thank you for the quick answer. I'll start on the handbook for 3 to get my feet wet.

Villeroy:
Is Libreoffice so similar that its tutorial examples are directly usable for an openoffice beginner?
So far I've followed the lectures I've found to the T, and I don't expect I'd be savvy enough to grasp any general structure information as I'm still very much at the copy-methodically-and-check-twice stage of learning.
If it is, thank you very much. This would make my searching a lot easier.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Megafroggie wrote:Is Libreoffice so similar that its tutorial examples are directly usable for an openoffice beginner?
Yes. Base is identical. The other components are a little bit more onward.
Megafroggie wrote: I'm still very much at the copy-methodically-and-check-twice stage of learning.
This is no learning at all.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Megafroggie

Post by Megafroggie »

I am aware.
I just try to keep in mind that I don't necessarily understand what I'm doing just because I'm doing it, to avoid rushing into more advanced stages without really "getting" the basics.
Going through lectures step-by-step, basically tracing the right way of doing things and analyzing what they do, have always been the first step to true understanding for me. If it counts as "learning" I don't really know, but it's worked as a starting step for a lot of different things, so maybe it's like learning to ride a bike?
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

Here is a link to one tutorial that I found particularly helpful
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ima ... torial.pdf
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
Megafroggie

Re: [SOLVED] I have trouble finding tutorials for Base 4.x

Post by Megafroggie »

Thank you for that link! It seems really extensive.
I downloaded it to go in my tutorial list.