[Solved] soffice.bin crash when exiting

Discuss the database features
Imagination *-*

[Solved] soffice.bin crash when exiting

Post by Imagination *-* »

Hi all again,

Another issue... T.T

Due to certain requirements I have to return back to the embedded database structure. This is because I need this file to be single and able to be copied/pasted conveniently. The "database" I'm working on is not suppose to function like a database. The user will input data into the table for that week and for the following week, this file will be duplicated and the table cleared to input new data once again.

I hope you all will understand the situation here. I sort of understand the advantages of the split HQSL 2.3.4 but I don't think that option is viable in my case.

Now I am experiencing the typical runtime error issue of soffice.bin when I exit the program. I did search high and low over the internet for similar issues and solutions but again, to no avail. I did my own experimentation and finally I strongly believe I found the issue that's causing this error. I found that by disabling my macro's this issue is solved. But then again I need my macros.

Could this be a program issue or a macro issue? If needed or when I have time I'll manually test each macro.

I seriously feel this program hates me :|

THANKS ONCE AGAIN!
Last edited by Imagination *-* on Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
LibreOffice 5.1.3.2 on Windows 7 64 bit
Sliderule
Volunteer

Re: soffice.bin crash when exiting

Post by Sliderule »

It is impossible for someone to attempt to answer your issue, without having a copy of your database, and, macros.

After said:
Imagination *-* wrote: The "database" I'm working on is not suppose to function like a database. The user will input data into the table for that week and for the following week, this file will be duplicated and the table cleared to input new data once again.
  1. What does, "not suppose to function like a database" mean? Since it is a database file, but, it is not supposed to function like a databasae . . . than . . . what is it supposed to function like?
  2. Have you issued the database command:

Code: Select all

checkpoint defrag
    to reduce the size of the *.odb file?
Sliderule

Thanks to add [Solved] in your 1st post Subject (edit button top right) if this issue has been resolved.
Imagination *-*

Sliderule wrote:It is impossible for someone to attempt to answer your issue, without having a copy of your database, and, macros.

After said:
Imagination *-* wrote: The "database" I'm working on is not suppose to function like a database. The user will input data into the table for that week and for the following week, this file will be duplicated and the table cleared to input new data once again.
  1. What does, "not suppose to function like a database" mean? Since it is a database file, but, it is not supposed to function like a databasae . . . than . . . what is it supposed to function like?
  2. Have you issued the database command:

checkpoint defrag

to reduce the size of the *.odb file?
Sliderule

Thanks to add [Solved] in your 1st post Subject (edit button top right) if this issue has been resolved.

It functions something like this:

User imports table data from Spreadsheet (data for current week received from another department) into Base table --> Forms and Queries helps user to sort and perform other functions, input additional into Base table empty fields & to generate reports/charts (I guess more on user friendliness here) --> User is satisfied with the outcome/charts/reports for this current week --> "Save As" Base file with a filename relating to week no. --> Done for the week. --> Receives new spreadsheet table data for following week ---> Do a copy paste of the previous week Base file and rename to a newer week ---> Opens this newly copied Base file --> Opens the table ---> Removes all data from last week --> Rinse and repeat from the start of this process.

I have not tried using that database command.

I do hope my explanation is clear to be understood. Thanks.
Sliderule
Volunteer

Post by Sliderule »

HSQL 1.8 Documentation wrote:CHECKPOINT

CHECKPOINT [DEFRAG];

Closes the database files, rewrites the script file, deletes the log file and opens the database.
If DEFRAG is specified, this command also shrinks the .data file to its minimal size.
It could be, the crashes are because the database size ( bytes in the *.odb file ), after deleting records etc, is not being reduced . . . that is . . . the byte size of the file is much bigger than it needs to be. Therefore, after deleting the records, issuing the command might be helpful.

Sliderule

Imagination *-*

The CHECKPOINT [DEFRAG] did not help unfortunately.

But, I did found the issue that's causing my soffice.bin to crash while exiting or saving the Base file. When I remove the following macro:

REM  *****  Open Customer(main menu) on startup  *****

Sub Menu_Main( )
Dim ObjTypeWhat
Dim ObjName As String
ObjTypeWhat = com.sun.star.sdb.application.DatabaseObject.FORM
ObjName = "MAIN.FORM" 'The name of the form you want to open at Base start-up, this needs to exist.
If ThisDatabaseDocument.FormDocuments.hasbyname(ObjName) Then 'Check the form exists
ThisDataBaseDocument.CurrentController.Connect() 'If the form exists connect to the database
ThisDatabaseDocument.CurrentController.loadComponent(ObjTypeWhat, ObjName, FALSE) 'Open the form
Else
MsgBox "This is embarrassing, sorry, can't find the requested form to open!"+chr(10)+"Form Name = " & ObjName + chr(10)+"Check the details." , 48, "DS4A SBM encountered a problem!"
End if
End Sub

REM  *****  Open MAIN FORM & Close STD/CTS Main Page  *****

Sub CLOS_CTS

const sNewDocumentName2="MAIN.FORM"

oNewFormDocument=ThisDataBaseDocument.FormDocuments.getbyname(sNewDocumentName2).open

const sCurrentDocumentName2="UserMenu.CTS"

oNewFormDocument=ThisDataBaseDocument.FormDocuments.getbyname(sCurrentDocumentName2).close

end sub

Sub CLOS_STD

const sNewDocumentName2="MAIN.FORM"

oNewFormDocument=ThisDataBaseDocument.FormDocuments.getbyname(sNewDocumentName2).open

const sCurrentDocumentName2="UserMenu.STD"

oNewFormDocument=ThisDataBaseDocument.FormDocuments.getbyname(sCurrentDocumentName2).close
end sub

It exits fine now so far without any crashes while exiting after rigorous random clicking and inputting here and there. Could be there is something wrong with my macro codes? I can honestly say that most macro codes I googled them online and plug and play :?

Other things that I've done to potentially remove this issue is by turning off all OpenCL options, increasing the memory values by twicefold and turning off all options in the graphics output setting.
Imagination *-*

I'm pleased to say that after lots of diagnostics (changing from OpenOffice 3.2.0 until 3.4.1 and Libreoffice 4.4, 5.0.3, 5.1.3 until 5.2). I have found the root cause of my problem.

It is due to the Java version installed. After installing the first version 7 (1.7.0 instead of 8u91) of Java everything is working fine now. Even the macro of which I once removed.

I did not however tried with other updated versions of Java 7.

But most importantly, all is good now. :super: :bravo: :D :)