[Solved] Can a Base application be made standalone?

Discuss the database features
Rocky143

[Solved] Can a Base application be made standalone?

Post by Rocky143 »

If I write a flashcard program in Base, can it be made standalone and portable?

I would like to put the program on a DVD or flash drive and have the user run the program without installing anything on his computer. He would just click on an icon and the flashcard program would run. I want to do this because some of the users are computer-unsophisticated and the more I can simplify their experience the better.
Last edited by Rocky143 on Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office 4.1.1, Windows 7
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Can a Base application be made standalone and portable?

Post by Villeroy »

Makes no sense. Too much development effort for nothing. You can install everything within minutes at zero cost. Base is not a development suite. It is nothing like MS Access or something. It is just a tiny supplement to feed ODF documents with database data. The entire GUI is based on ODF documents.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Rocky143

Post by Rocky143 »

Thank you for your reply Villeroy.

Something would be gained for the development effort. The user's experience would be simplified. My concern is that a substantial fraction of the people using this application will lack computer skills. I would not be surprised if some of them would need help to know how to turn the machine on and insert the DVD/flash drive. I wan their experience to be as simple as possible.

My question still stands, is it possible to make a Base application standalone and portable? If that is impossible, I will have to find another solution. If it is possible, I may want to pursue this option, despite the fact that another person might take another route.

I am curious what was meant by "feed ODF documents with database data," and "the entire GUI is based on ODF documents." I know what ODF and GUI mean, but those two sentences are lost on me. I don't understand what "feed" means and I don't understand why it matters if the GUI screens are ODF files.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

For information, there are at least two flashcard extensions for Impress. One of these might save you inventing one on Base.

http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/sea ... order=DESC
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

RoryOF wrote:For information, there are at least two flashcard extensions for Impress. One of these might save you inventing one on Base.
I think he wants executables like MS Access can produce them. MS Access has an option to convert a database into one Windows .exe file. You start this database.exe on a Windows system and see the Access database with reports and forms and GUI without having installed MS Access nor any database engine at all. The whole database application with data is in one Windows executable. Of course we have nothing like that for all platforms Mac, Linux, Windows, OS/2, BSD. This is far, far beyond the scope and capabilities of this project. Instead, you can distribute the entire office suite with database on an external drive: http://portableapps.com/de/apps/office/ ... e_portable
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I realise that, Villeroy, but, as you know, there is usually more than one way to tackle a problem using OpenOffice.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Rocky143

Post by Rocky143 »

Thanks, again, Vilroy. I will try that out.
Rocky143

Post by Rocky143 »

RoryOF wrote:For information, there are at least two flashcard extensions for Impress. One of these might save you inventing one on Base.

http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/sea ... order=DESC
Thank you RoryOF. I will give them a try out.
cleo94

Re: [Solved] Can a Base application be made standalone?

Post by cleo94 »

Hi Rockey143,

have you found a solution to your question? I am also trying to make base a standalone application but am stuck!
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Base is not a database development suite. It is just a tiny addition to the office suite. On my Linux system the Base component takes no more than a dozend MB including the database drivers for HSQL, MySQL and PostgreSQL. The core weighs no more than 2.6 MB.

Since this is free software, you can put whole office suites (one for Windows, Mac and Linux), Java runtimes, a database document, forms, reports and everything on a flash drive and use that.
cleo94

Post by cleo94 »

Thanks for the answer Vileroy,
but if I do what you mentioned am I able to make a GUI, for example I want an application where when I open the program there's different buttons, one to create an invoice, one to add customers etc. instead of having to use the libre office base GUI. Can I do something like this?
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

How can I know what you are able to do?
cleo94

Post by cleo94 »

I am just wondering if this is possible to do with libre office base
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Nocton
Volunteer

Post by Nocton »

am I able to make a GUI, for example I want an application where when I open the program there's different buttons, one to create an invoice, one to add customers etc.
He would just click on an icon and the flashcard program would run.
In one word: Yes. But you will need to learn how to use Base. Look at the tutorials.
OpenOffice 4.1.12 on Windows 10