[Solved] Does not find JRE

Discuss the database features
bobfleming

[Solved] Does not find JRE

Post by bobfleming »

When attempting to connect to a database, I get the following error:
"OpenOffice requires a Java runtime environment (JRE) to perform this task. The selectred
JRE is defective. Please select another version or install a new JRE and select it under
Tools - Options - OpenOffice - Java."

When I go to Tools - Options - OpenOffice - Java, there is a brief pause, then it
displays the following "Oracle Corporation 1.8.0.45"

I clicked on Add, but when I again attempt to connect to the database, I still get the
same error.

I have Windows 7, 64-bit version. I was initially using OpenOffice.org 4.1.0 without
problems. Then about a week ago I received a message advising to update Java. I
downloaded the 32-bit JRE and still had the same problem. I went to Tools - Options -
OpenOffice - Java and it automatically selected the new JRE. I clicked the "Add" button
and the problem was not resolved. I then downloaded the 64-bit JRE, went to Tools -
Options - OpenOffice - Java, and this time browsed to Program
Files/java/jre1.8.0_45/bin/java.exe. I am assuming that Program Files contains the 64-bit
programs and Program Files (x86) contains the 32-bit programs -- am I correct about this?
After double clicking on the jre1.8.0_45 folder and clicking "Add", I still had not
resolved the problem. I still get the "OpenOffice requires a Java runtime environment..."
error.

So, what do I do now???

Bob Fleming
Seattle, U.S.A.
Last edited by thomasjk on Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mark thread [Solved] and add green checkmark
OpenOffice.org 3.4.1 on Windows 7
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Does not find JRE

Post by Villeroy »

Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
bobfleming

Post by bobfleming »

I tried the link posted above (v ... 74&t=69896), and I think I correctly followed the instructions, but the problem was not resolved.

The advice to avoid using wizards is good advice for the future, but the database I am trying to access was already created using the wizard. It worked fine until I updated to OpenOffice 4.1.1.

My gut feeling is that the instructions on that link were for older versions and that there is some sort of incompatibility issue between the latest versions of OpenOffice and JRE.

When attempting to the database, the following alert appears:

"OpenOffice requires a Java runtime environment (JRE) to perform this task. The selected JRE is defective. Please select another version or intall a new JRE and select it under Tools - Options - Java."

Upon closing that alert, this one pops up:

"The connections to the data source "Bob Personal" could not be established.
No Java installation could be found. Please check your installation.

Clicking on the "More" button reveals this:

"SQL Status HY000"

The version of OpenOffice is 4.1.1
AOO411m6(Build:9775) - Rev. 1617669
2014-08-13 09:06:54 (Mi, 13 Aug 2014)

The operating system is Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1

the computer was custom built, with Intel(R) Core(TM) Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50 GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 4.00 GB
64-bit operating system

Installed JREs:
jre-windows-i586.exe (probably 64bit because it is in Program Files)
In Program Files (x86) I found:
jre1.7.0_79
jre1.8.0_45
java.exe in the Jre7 folder
I also found an empty folder for jre6 (I will delete that folder)

In OpenOffice, Tools - Options - Java, after a few seconds, self populates with:
Oracle Corporation 1.8.0_45 and
Oracle Corporation 1.7.0_79
Greengiant224

Post by Greengiant224 »

bobfleming:
In OpenOffice, Tools - Options - Java, after a few seconds, self populates with:
Oracle Corporation 1.8.0_45 and
Oracle Corporation 1.7.0_79
Have you selected the radio button?
Java will not be found without selecting this.

AOO/LO is a 32 bit program and therefore needs a 32bit Java installation, even on a 64 bit machine.
Your version of AOO (v3.4.1) will only work with Java v 1.7. This is because of incompatibilities
with the VC++ runtime libraries.
Although there is a work around, it is not for the faint hearted.

Does this help?

Greengiant224

Win 7, Portable AOO 4.1.14, LibreOffice 6.2, 7.4.5 & 7.6.1 (Java 1.7.81 & 1.8.0_281) utilising HSQL 1.8.10 & 2.4.*, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite
+ Blood, Sweat and Tears (Application, Determination and Perseverance)
bobfleming

Post by bobfleming »

RESOLVED! Thanks to Greengiant224 that opened by eyes to the radio button I hadn't noticed before!
shanen

Re: [Solved] Does not find JRE

Post by shanen »

Thanks for calling this to my attention. I had been wrestling with the same problem for months, and had never realized that was a radio button.

Minor item, but obvious fix is to select the button if there is only one. Or perhaps they could change it to eliminate the upper checkbox to use Java? Instead, they have a default option in the selection panel of "None, Java not used." If you see that option is selected and there is one or more unselected JREs below it, then it will be pretty clear what to do.
OpenOffice 4.x on Windows / MacOS / Ubuntu
NiallMartin

Post by NiallMartin »

This solved my problem too.
Niall Martin
OpenOffice 4.1.3
Win 10
vacppp

Post by vacppp »

Please tell me what is this radio button
Open office 4.4.1 on window 7
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

vacppp wrote:Please tell me what is this radio button
Use Tools--->Options--->Libreoffice--->Advanced. I'm
Radiobutton.PNG
using Libreoffice AOO may be slightly different.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
guran_two

Post by guran_two »

If you run a 64 bit system with Java installed, Open Office will still not find or accept your Java version. You need to install Java 32 bit version also on your 64 bit system. When this is done Open Office will accept your Java installation.
The reason is obviously based on OO being 32 bit and not 64 bit. Ergo. :knock:
Open Office 4.1.5 on Windows 10 64 bit
jwlewis

Post by jwlewis »

Just ran into this issue myself
Had 4.1.3 installed on my windows 7, 64 bit with jre-8u192-windows-64 installed and got the NO JRE message.

Updated AOO to 4.1.5 and HAD to install jre-8u192-windows-i586. I had to change the install folder to c:/program files/java/jre1.8.0_192_32bit since I already had a c:/program files/java/jre1.8.0_192 folder for my 64 bit version.

Sure wish AOO would put out a 64 bit version so we wouldn't have to do install 2 versions of the JRE.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 7 64bit
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Compiling the source code for platforms other than Windows is by far easier, hence we always had 64 bit versions for other platforms. The LibreOffice team released a Windows 64 version in August 2015. OpenOffice is almost dead. The tiny team is working on version 4.2 for Win64 but nobody knows when or if this version will ever be released.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
gilbertl

Post by gilbertl »

Thanks to Greengiant224 -- I installed the 32 bit version of JRE on my 64 bit Windows 10 x64 machine, and now it (Open Office help) works. (It did not work with the 64 bit version of JRE.)
Apache Open Office 4.1.5 Windows 10 x64
david7365

Post by david7365 »

I had the same problem. My computer only has one JRE entry, but I never noticed the one lonely radio button that needed to be checked. Radio buttons are only intuitive when there are more than one, in my opinion. Just another unnecessary hurdle of many I have found in using OpenOffice. I am currently wanting to do spreadsheet macro programming in Basic or JavaScript, and of course OO doesn't come with this capability installed! The instructions are obscure... sigh. :(
MartínSevero

Post by MartínSevero »

Greengiant224, thanks a lot!!! You have solved something that was breaking my head. God bless you!
OpenOffice 4.1.11 Windows 10
Arnav

Post by Arnav »

On my system even after downloding java, open office is not detecting it . After going to tools---......java, and adding path to jre file that is,C:/Program Files/Java/jre 1.8.0_351 it is showing "the folder you have opened does not contain java runtime environment.

I am using it on 32 bit operating system . Please help!
open office 4.1.10 and 32 bit operating system
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

Be aware that it is better to start a new thread with your question than add to one that has already been [Solved].
Make sure you downloaded the X86 version (32 bit) of Java for your operating system.
https://www.oracle.com/java/technologie ... a8-windows
You could also try a version from an alternative source.
https://adoptium.net/temurin/releases/?version=11
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Some newer Java versions are not compatible with the slowly developed AOO versions. Try to use a 32 bit really free Temurin (Java)

https://adoptium.net/
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Arnav

Post by Arnav »

Thanks it really solved my problem! Thanks for your guidance
open office 4.1.10 and 32 bit operating system
ditchcrawler

Post by ditchcrawler »

My problem is slightly different, I have a Data base running successfully but when I try to create another Database I get the message saying JRT needed. I followed the info on here and click TOOLS, OPTIONS, JAVA and it tells me JRT is already installed.
Brian
Apache Openoffice 4 windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Base is quite usable without Java, unless the database itself is written in Java or the database driver uses JDBC. Base is not a database. Base is a tool to work with databases. When you crreate a new database, Base tries to embed a HSQL database (Java) in the database document. When you open your working database, what is the database type indicated in the status bar at the bottom of the database window?
ditchcrawler

Post by ditchcrawler »

I have sorted this now by comparing it to another computer, I didn't for some reason have JRT on the computer, no idea why it wasn't there as I have never manually added it to any other computer
Brian
Apache Openoffice 4 windows 10