Problem splitting embedded database

Discuss the database features
glj

Problem splitting embedded database

Post by glj »

I followed the steps in DACM's tutorial: [Tutorial] Splitting an embedded HSQL database. But when I opened mydb_wizard.odb, enabled macros, and selected Tables I got another error which said:
The connection to the data source "mydb_wizard" could not be established. The driver class 'org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver' could not be loaded.The additional driver class path is 'file:///C:/Users ... /hsqldb.jar'.
Although I abbreviated it here, the full path as shown in the actual error message was correct.

The tutorial didn't really say anything about unzipping the file downloaded by clicking on the hsqldb.jar link. But it didn't work with the zip extension (at first I didn't even notice that the downloaded file had a .zip extension!) and (after I saw that it had a .zip extension) it still didn't work after unzipping it to get rid of the zip extension. So finally I just deleted the .zip extension and opened mydb_wizard.odb. The Tables appeared as they should.

Perhaps the tutorial should be edited to make it clear the hsqldb.jar.zip has to be renamed hsqldb.jar.
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + Ubuntu
DACM
Volunteer

Re: Problem splitting embedded database

Post by DACM »

glj wrote:I followed the steps in DACM's tutorial: [Tutorial] Splitting an embedded HSQL database.
Correction: [Tutorial] Splitting an "embedded HSQL database"
glj wrote:Perhaps the tutorial should be edited to make it clear the hsqldb.jar.zip has to be renamed hsqldb.jar.
Interesting anomaly. The file exists as hsqldb.jar on the MediaFire file-storage site, so I'm not sure why the .zip extension is added upon download in your case. I tried several browsers and could not reproduce the anomaly. In my testing, the file is downloaded in it's original form as hsqldb.jar without adding the .zip extension.

hsqldb.jar is, in fact, a zip file with a .jar extension (as required by Java programming standards), but the contents of a .jar file should not be extracted in any case. So you were correct in simply eliminating the .zip extension and leaving the filename hsqldb.jar. Your experience may be a product of the particular browser, add-ins, operating system, web-site or network settings somehow. For instance, the LibreOffice forum incorrectly adds a .zip extension to .jar files upon download. In fact, the LibreOffice forum is currently incompatible with the ODF spec, and in particular, extensions such as ODB. The web is a mess.
AOO 4.1.x; LO 4.2.x; Windows 7/8 64-bit
Warning: Avoid embedded databases --> Solution: Adopt a portable 'split database' folder
Soli Deo gloria
nonnym

Re: Problem splitting embedded database

Post by nonnym »

Thank you posting this. I had the same problem with the hsqldb.jar having a .zip at the end and was very pleased to find that my database connection problem was as simple as removing the .zip for that file.
Open Office 4.1.1, Windows 7