[Solved] Which version of HSQL is shipped with LO 3.5.5

Discuss the database features
dreamquartz

[Solved] Which version of HSQL is shipped with LO 3.5.5

Post by dreamquartz »

I am trying to figure out where I can find the version # of the HSQL that is shipped with LO 3.5.5.

Dream
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Mon May 25, 2020 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
LO 7.x, HSQLDB 2.7.x & Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
MrProgrammer

Re: Which version of HSQL is shipped with LO 3.5.5

Post by MrProgrammer »

Create a new database with LO 3.5.5, save it, and close it. Rename the file extension from ODB to ZIP. Expand the ZIP file:

$ unzip "New Database.zip"
Archive: New Database.zip
extracting: mimetype
creating: Configurations2/
inflating: content.xml
inflating: database/script
inflating: database/backup
inflating: database/log
inflating: database/properties
inflating: database/data
creating: reports/
inflating: settings.xml
creating: forms/
inflating: META-INF/manifest.xml

Look in database/properties.

If this answered your question please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
DACM
Volunteer

Post by DACM »

AOO 4.1.x; LO 4.2.x; Windows 7/8 64-bit
Warning: Avoid embedded databases --> Solution: Adopt a portable 'split database' folder
Soli Deo gloria
dreamquartz

Post by dreamquartz »

Ok, now I know which one it is, my question now is how to link/install HSQLBD 2.2.8 to my LO 3.5.5 under Ubuntu 12.04?

Dream
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

You download the package from hsqldb.org and extract it to some folder on your system.
Then you go to Tools>Options>Java and add ./lib/hsqldb.jar to the class path.
From now on your office suite will use that hsqldb.jar instead of the built-in one. And you can not open the embedded HSQLDB anymore until you undo the class path configuration or until you extract the embedded database out of the Base document.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
dreamquartz

Post by dreamquartz »

Hi Villeroy,

Thanks for your response, but I think I am missing a step.
These are the Screenshots indicating what I see, when I tried to open a new Document in Base.
Screenshot 1.png
Screenshot 2.png
Screenshot 3.png
Any idea what caused this one?

Dream
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

It tries to create a new embedded database which does not work anymore. Your new HSQLDB engine is just an external database engine like MySQL or PostgreSQL.
Set up and run your database server for multi-user access or create a new database directory for local access. Then connect a Base document to the new database. Everything is perfectly well documented in the database package you downloaded. Search this forum for tutorials by member DACM.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
DACM
Volunteer

Post by DACM »

The following excerpt is from the 'Quick Fix' which includes some additional instructions for setting up Base with HSQLDB:
Quick Fix wrote:Manual *Office setup:
(1a) Tools>Options>Java
Select 'Use a Java runtime environment' and select a recent, 32-bit, Java installation (currently Java version 6 is required; Java 7 may not work with Base)
(1b) Tools>Options>Java>Class Path
Browse to OpenOffice>Basis>Program>Classes (or browse to your installation of HSQLDB 2.x)
Select hsqldb.jar
(1c) Shutdown OpenOffice (and Quickstarter if running) to save the settings.

Manually create a Base (.odb) file for 'file mode' access to an HSQL database:
(2a) Start Base and select the database wizard: Connect to an existing database > JDBC (Next...)
(2b) Datasource URL:
jdbc: hsqldb:file:/users/public/databases/mydb/mydb;default_schema=true;shutdown=true;hsqldb.default_table_type=cached;get_column_name=false
NOTE: Administrator privileges may be required to add root-level folders, but the " /users/public/ " folder-path should be available without special privileges, at least in Windows XP/Vista/7
NOTE: .../databases/mydb/
mydb specifies the location and name of your database files.
The 'databases' folder helps to de-clutter your user folders, while the 'mydb' folder is your actual database folder. The second '
mydb' specifies your database file name. Since your database will consist of multiple files, this folder convention helps group and manage all database files as a single folder-unit. As such, it's a good idea to place the .odb file in this folder as well. You can then manage the database as a unit such as for backup or zipped-folder distribution. As a convention, it may be best to use the same name for the folder, database, and .odb file as done here using 'mydb', but feel free to adjust the folder/file names within this Datasource URL. In fact, that's the best way to create new "split-databases” with HSQLDB.
(2c) JDBC driver class: org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver
NOTE: a space is not tolerated at the end of this setting string
(2d) User Name: SA
See also the Base FAQ: http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wik ... se)#HSQLDB

AOO 4.1.x; LO 4.2.x; Windows 7/8 64-bit
Warning: Avoid embedded databases --> Solution: Adopt a portable 'split database' folder
Soli Deo gloria