Newbie to Base but not to databases

Discuss the database features
pengyou

Newbie to Base but not to databases

Post by pengyou »

It has been about a dozen years since I worked with databases, but at that time I was fairly proficient with Access. I would like to learn how to use Base now. The project that I have chosen to use to learn how to use it is a gradebook program. It is not a simple gradebook but rather complicated. I need to be able to save the common personal info about each student, a picture, attendance scores, participation scores, workbook scores, exam scores, quiz scores, exercise book scores and bonus points. Ultimately I want to be able to create a one page report that will display all of this, including graphs to show the students their relative positions in the class. That is phase 2 :lol:

I could do this easily on a spreadsheet but it would not be easy to do data entry, and thus would make it easy to make errors. I want to create one file for student info, one for attendance, one for quizzes, etc to facilitate data entry for me. This is an example of a relational database. The intersection record would be the student number. What terminology does OO Base use for these tools? to make this kind of application? Does anyone have (or can direct me to) a simple example of a relational database using OO Base that I can study? I am also curious about how to store a photo (jpeg) in a database file.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Newbie to Base but not to databases

Post by Villeroy »

Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
DACM
Volunteer

Re: Newbie to Base but not to databases

Post by DACM »

pengyou wrote:I want to create one file table/form for student info, one for attendance, one for quizzes, etc to facilitate data entry for me. This is an example of a relational database. The intersection record (foreign key) would be the student number. What terminology does OO Base use for these tools? to make this kind of application? Does anyone have (or can direct me to) a simple example of a relational database using OO Base that I can study? I am also curious about how to store a photo (jpeg) in a database file.
Here's some Base tutorials

Here's an example database for student attendance tracking

See also: Board index ‹ Getting started ‹ Tutorials ‹ Base I use a dedicated table in 1:1 or 1:n (one-to-many) relationship to store image files for contact lists because a separate table allows you to store one (1:1) or more (1:n) pictures per record while maintaining database performance. A nested-query is used to search the main table for a record (as is common with MainForm navigation), and then retrieve the associated picture(s) as necessary (such as through SubForm linking). Otherwise, you can save your pictures to a dedicated picture folder and utilize a Text file database link. Both are demonstrated at the links below: ...
AOO 4.1.x; LO 4.2.x; Windows 7/8 64-bit
Warning: Avoid embedded databases --> Solution: Adopt a portable 'split database' folder
Soli Deo gloria