Page 1 of 1

[Solved] How to disable edit mode

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:35 am
by jenny143
how to disabled edit?

since i use standalone forms
viewtopic.php?f=83&t=40493

all i want is that no editing for design forms??
like forms in base

Re: How to disable edit mode

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:34 pm
by probe1
With OOo 3.2.1 I have an option "Always open in read-only mode" (Tools>Options...>OpenOffice.org>Security tab), which does the trick

Re: How to disable edit mode

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:47 pm
by Villeroy
probe1 wrote:With OOo 3.2.1 I have an option "Always open in read-only mode" (Tools>Options...>OpenOffice.org>Security tab), which does the trick

This option is hidden in the save-as dialog. When I check "save with password". Then I'm prompted for a password to open the file and/or another password to make the document read-only.

Revoking the edit permission on file system level it is easier while having the same effect, under Linux at least where file system permissions are a matter of course.

Re: How to disable edit mode

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:34 am
by jenny143
so that's for the setting of the server?

where is it

permission then??

it is possible to do that for Microsoft server (Temporarily?) ??

Re: How to disable edit mode

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:01 am
by mary jhane
i have no "save with password" in my open office 3.3 where is that option

Re: How to disable edit mode

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:03 am
by RoryOF
mary jhane wrote:i have no "save with password" in my open office 3.3 where is that option


/ File / Save As has a password checkbox.

 Edit: My advice is that, unless essential, you should stay away from passwords in OpenOffice. They are effectively unbreakable, so if you forget or muff your password the file is lost. 

Re: How to disable edit mode

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:56 am
by mary jhane
No save password in file-save as
only check box automatic file name extension
zz i cant find it, :oops:

there is other recovery password if i forgot it sir??

Re: How to disable edit mode

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:05 am
by RoryOF
You may need to set
/ Tools / Options / OpenOffice.org / General : Use OpenOffice.org Dialogue boxes. Then restart OpenOffice including Quickstarter (easiest way is to restart your computer completely).

In OpenOffice, if you forget your password there is effectively no recovery. This is the purpose of a password, to prevent unauthorised access to a file.

Re: How to disable edit mode

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:57 am
by floris v
I just checked but you can't password protect a database file, not with the standard dialog boxes and not with OOo's dialog boxes.

Re: How to disable edit mode

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:12 am
by Villeroy
floris v wrote:I just checked but you can't password protect a database file, not with the standard dialog boxes and not with OOo's dialog boxes.

It's about a stand alone form document
jenny143 wrote:since i use standalone forms
viewtopic.php?f=83&t=40493

Re: How to disable edit mode

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:14 am
by floris v
:oops: My bad.

Re: How to disable edit mode

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:43 am
by jenny143
there's no other way to set document to read only mode??

Re: How to disable edit mode

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:40 pm
by DACM
I may be missing something here...but I thought we covered this in the referenced tutorial. These steps are accomplished upon saving the Form within Writer only. The options don't exist during the export process from Base, nor among the global settings.
[Tutorial] Standalone Forms / Switchboard wrote:(O) And finally, File > Save As... > Save with password (checkbox) > Save (button, opens the Set Password dialog box, but skip to...) > More Options... (button) > Open file read-only (checkbox).
    Note: Do not specify a password to open, but after clicking More Options... you'll see the option to Enter password to allow editing which can be useful (if you as the developer don't forget the password!).
    Note: To regain the ability to edit the Writer-Form document after saving "read-only" simply Save As... another copy without selecting the "read-only" attribute.

I understand the confusion because the tutorial presumes the creation of an associated switchboard Form, which presumes the Forms will be opened with a Push Button, which offers to open the 'URL' read-only. Thus, step (8) does not password-protect the individual Forms because it doesn't seem necessary when opened "read-only" by the switchboard buttons. So the only step (O) that suggests password-protection applies to the switchboard Form alone. However, that step can be applied to the individual Forms, as needed.
[Tutorial] Standalone Forms / Switchboard wrote:(8 ) When you're satisfied with each standalone Writer Form, click File > Save
    Note: there's no need to save each Form "read-only" when using a Push Button to open the Form due to the associated "read-only" option of the URL. However, this option still allows the user to enter 'Design Mode' using the appropriate toolbar, so it may be best to save a more permanent "read-only" version. File > Save As... > Save with password (checkbox) > More Options... (button) > Open file read-only (checkbox). Do not specify a password. To regain the ability to edit the Writer-Form document after saving "read-only" simply Save As... another copy without the "read-only" attribute.

And while it's not clear in the context (even as I read it at now), I think we can presume that a password-protected, read-only attribute effectively foils the ability to 'save as' another copy for editing. So don't forget the password if you want to edit the Form!

Re: How to disable edit mode

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:22 am
by mary jhane
where is More Options...???

Re: How to disable edit mode

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:14 pm
by DACM
Do you have the Form open in Writer?

DACM wrote:These steps are accomplished upon saving the Form within Writer only. The options don't exist during the export process from Base, nor among the global settings.
[Tutorial] Standalone Forms / Switchboard wrote:(O) And finally, File
> Save As...
> Save with password
(checkbox)
> Save
(button, opens the Set Password dialog box, but skip to...)
> More Options... (button)
> Open file read-only (checkbox).
    Note: Do not specify a password to open, but after clicking More Options... you'll see the option to Enter password to allow editing which can be useful (if you as the developer don't forget the password!).
    Note: To regain the ability to edit the Writer-Form document after saving "read-only" simply Save As... another copy without selecting the "read-only" attribute.

SaveAs_with_password.jpg
File > Save As... > Save with password (checkbox) > Save (button)

SaveAs_with_password_More_Options.jpg
(opens the Set Password dialog box , but skip to...) > More Options... (button)
SaveAs_with_password_More_Options.jpg (22.76 KiB) Viewed 15823 times

SaveAs_with_password_Fewer_Options.jpg
> Open file read-only (checkbox)

Re: How to disable edit mode

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:40 pm
by Villeroy
Or right-click the file in the Win Explorer, choose "Properties" and check the read-only flag.

Re: How to disable edit mode

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:15 am
by mary jhane
nice... :D
Thank you
More Powers

Re: How to disable edit mode

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:24 am
by jenny143
Thanks DACM and VILLEROY

Re: How to disable edit mode

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:27 am
by jenny143
Thanks DACM and VILLEROY