Page 1 of 1

[Solved] Newbie attempting to learn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:46 pm
by MRidge
Ok, I've tried to search for this answer, my problem comes in where the search is either too limited, or the query is too small, so sorry if this has been answered before, but the search function is being anything but friendly to me.

http://inpics.net/tutorials/base2/queries25.html

At this site I am learning how to use Base, I am at a point where I should be able to put into Criterion 'Yes' for Good Authors.

It should bring back a query showing all that are checked as "Good Authors" as long as the response is yes.

When I attempt to run the query I get this response:

Warning!

The entered criterion cannot be compared with this field.


I am stuck. This is the last page of the query I am working on, and I can't continue because it says a query for all intended purposes should be possible isn't.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Even though I know this may of been asked, I couldn't find a suitable answer.

Re: Newbie attempting to learn...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:50 pm
by Villeroy
"Yes" and "No" are Englishs words without meaning in SQL. I would try True and False or 1 and 0.

Re: Newbie attempting to learn...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:56 pm
by MRidge
Villeroy wrote:"Yes" and "No" are Englishs words without meaning in SQL. I would try True and False or 1 and 0.


Hmm, it worked, basic binary... but I read through the entire how-to on that site, and I don't remember seeing anything saying about that.

Thanks, I should of remembered that back from my basic programming back in college...

Re: Newbie attempting to learn...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:15 pm
by Villeroy
You will enjoy this one: http://openoffice.org/projects/document ... 20tutorial
together with our section of Base tutorials and example documents derived from the practical problems discussed on this site: viewforum.php?f=83

Re: Newbie attempting to learn...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:39 pm
by MRidge
Villeroy wrote:You will enjoy this one: http://openoffice.org/projects/document ... 20tutorial
together with our section of Base tutorials and example documents derived from the practical problems discussed on this site: viewforum.php?f=83


The first link is loading very slowly, is it just me?

Thanks for the help though this is appreciated.

Re: Newbie attempting to learn...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:02 pm
by Villeroy
The whole OOo web infrastructure is moving from Oracle to the Apache foundation. This forum will be down for a day in this week. I attached a copy of the "official" Base tutorial by Mariano Casanova.

Re: Newbie attempting to learn...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:20 pm
by MRidge
Villeroy wrote:The whole OOo web infrastructure is moving from Oracle to the Apache foundation. This forum will be down for a day in this week. I attached a copy of the "official" Base tutorial by Mariano Casanova.


Thanks again. I like the speed of response on the forum. It makes me happy to know OOo is still a solid system to work off of.