MySQL server has gone away

Discuss the database features
LittleSkipper

MySQL server has gone away

Post by LittleSkipper »

I am running OOo 3.3.0 on Windows 7.
I am trying to run a query on a remote MySQL dbase table on a shared website server/IP, connected via ODBC driver. The driver connection dialogue "test" button says connection is successful, but when I try to run the query it returns:
Data content could not be loaded
and
SQL Status: 08S01
Error code: 2006
[MySQL][ODBC 5.1 Driver][mysqld-5.0.91-community-log]MySQL server has gone away

The SQL query I ran through the design view is as follows (according to the error info on command leading to error):
SELECT `ID`, `Enrollment`, `Grantee`, `PhoneNumber`, `Address`, `City`, `State`, `PostalCode`, `Notes`, `KeyContFirstNm`, `KeyContLastNm`, `Gender`, `KeyContEmail`, `LastContctNotes`, `QuoteDate`, `OrderDate` FROM `little86_contacts`.`maintest` AS `maintest` WHERE `Enrollment` > 1000

Any ideas on what I can try? I tried to enable connection pooling based on another similar thread idea, but to no avail. I notice the driver config options are numerous, and I don't understand most of them.
Thanks!

Darren
OpenOffice 3.3.0 on Windows 7
r4zoli
Volunteer

Re: MySQL server has gone away

Post by r4zoli »

You can run other queries?
AOO 4.0 and LibO 4 on Win 8
Hungarian forum co-admin
rudolfo
Volunteer

Post by rudolfo »

Sounds for me like an issue with connection caching/pooling as well ...
ODBC drivers have often an option to turn logging on. Typically you will then find a log file in the root of your drive c:. Thoses logfiles are not so easy to read, but maybe you can still find something.
The other option is to run a packet capturing tool (Wireshark, ..) on the Mysql port 3306. This makes only sense if your connection to the database is not using SSL or another encryption.
OpenOffice 3.1.1 (2.4.3 until October 2009) and LibreOffice 3.3.2 on Windows 2000, AOO 3.4.1 on Windows 7
There are several macro languages in OOo, but none of them is called Visual Basic or VB(A)! Please call it OOo Basic, Star Basic or simply Basic.
matt11976

Post by matt11976 »

This may have been answered before but since this page came up at the top of the results, I will ad my reply.

If you able to run queries normally at first, but get this error after a short time this may solve the issue.

This seems to be an issue with the ODBC Driver or the Windows ODBC Control Panel. I discovered the solution to this problem on a thread for MS Access with the ODBC Driver.

I had to create a new ODBC datasource to the same database, and automatic re-connect must be enabled under More options. Checking this option on an already existing datasource has no result.

Again you must check this option when you initially create the datasource or it will not work. It does not work if you try to change it later. I have not experimented with unchecking a previously checked option.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
s1w_

Post by s1w_ »

matt11976 wrote:This may have been answered before but since this page came up at the top of the results, I will ad my reply.

If you able to run queries normally at first, but get this error after a short time this may solve the issue.

This seems to be an issue with the ODBC Driver or the Windows ODBC Control Panel. I discovered the solution to this problem on a thread for MS Access with the ODBC Driver.

I had to create a new ODBC datasource to the same database, and automatic re-connect must be enabled under More options. Checking this option on an already existing datasource has no result.

Again you must check this option when you initially create the datasource or it will not work. It does not work if you try to change it later. I have not experimented with unchecking a previously checked option.
You, sir, are master. I have spent so much time installing every possible MySQL app, drivers, also outdated, have so many errors on each lvl, installed even every version of ms Access and nothing could handle this connection.

Now, your solution have solved everything. Remember that name given in ODBC Control Panel was needed as server login (instead login to database). And then its worked.
LibreOffice 3.5.7.2 Ubuntu 12.04 lts