converting *.mdb to *.odb on Mac

Discuss the database features
k_pikoulas

converting *.mdb to *.odb on Mac

Post by k_pikoulas »

Hello to all. I'm new to this forum and to the OpenOffice software.
I'm trying to switch from PC to Mac and the conversion of the files is of paramount importance to me. On my PC I can open and edit *.mdb files by using OpenOffice Base software.
I know that OpenOffice doesn't recognize *.mdb files. So, on my PC, I 've converted an *.mdb file to an *.xls file and transferred this file to my Mac. On my Mac, I 've converted this *.xls file to a *.ods file, by using OpenOffice. I then tried to connect a database to this, but the resulting *.odb file is a read-only file. Is there a way to edit the data of this *.odb file? Or is there a way to solve this issue?
Any suggestion? Thanks in advance.
Kostas.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: converting *.mdb to *.odb on Mac

Post by Villeroy »

Those pseudo-databases, imported from spreadsheet, text, LDAP or mail client addressses, are read-only. You have another component at hand to edit spreadsheet cells. On a Windows system you can make mdb tables readable and writable for other software. This requires some Microsoft package to be installed. I don't know if this is an option for the Mac.
OK, you have a spreadsheet already. Create a new database from scratch. It will be one of the native type with tables embedded. Copy the used range of a spreadsheet table including the headers, go to the tables container in your new database window, and call "Paste..." from the context menu in the tables container. A wizzard pops up where you should carefully select the fields to be imported and their types.
Spreadsheet dates may be imported 2 days off. You can substract 2 from all spreadsheet dates or run an update query after import to fix this. (SQL standard for number2date conversion is based on 1900-01-01 whereas Calc uses 1899-12-30 as day zero).
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
k_pikoulas

Post by k_pikoulas »

Thank you for your prompt reply.
I will try your suggestion during the weekend and I will let you know the results.
chaz

Post by chaz »

OK, you have a spreadsheet already. Create a new database from scratch. It will be one of the native type with tables embedded. Copy the used range of a spreadsheet table including the headers, go to the tables container in your new database window, and call "Paste..." from the context menu in the tables container. A wizzard pops up where you should carefully select the fields to be imported and their types.
I'm using an Intel MacBook (purchased 11/2007), Leopard, OO 2.4 and cannot call "Paste..." from the context menu in the tables container. Try as I might, I cannot import or otherwise copy text from Calc or TextEdit into a OO 2.4 Base table. When I paste the data into a new, blank table, all the data gets copied into one field. Would greatly appreciate any assistance. Thanks in advance

Respectfully,
Chaz

P.S. "Upgraded" from OO 2.3 to 2.4 to avoid JRE not found error.
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

Try this.

You already have your Base file created with the embedded database.
Now create a second Base file, but this time in the Database wizard tick "Connecto to exisiting database" and select type "Spreadsheet". Assign it to your Calc file.

When you open this second Base file you will see your sheets as tables - try to drag and drop the table from the "Calc datasource" file to the "Standard" Base file table region. You should get the "Copy Table Wizard" and be on your way.
Former member of The Document Foundation
Former member of Apache OpenOffice PMC
LibreOffice on Ubuntu 18.04
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

@chaz (not beeing the original poster)

Searching forum Setup>MacOS for "Java" or "Base" reveals:
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 841&p=7764
If member wurzel is right it might be an OSX issue... :(

As Drew pointed out, you should be able to connect either one spreadsheet file, a collection of similar csv files in a directory or a dBase-directory to Base. dBase would be the only type providing read-write access.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
k_pikoulas

Post by k_pikoulas »

I use OpenOffice 2.3.1 for Mac and the suggestion from Villeroy worked excelently. I am a happy man as I think I can now switch to Mac safely! Or should I pospone this for maybe further problems to occur?