What is BuildId property for?

Discuss the database features
mobi-doc

What is BuildId property for?

Post by mobi-doc »

XRaying a form's ThisComponent, I found a String property named BuildId, that is always an empty string. I didn't find any documentation about it on OOo SDK, so I used it to store some information to enable inter-form communication in a multi-form database application. The application works fine but I wonder what this property stands for and if there are times that OOo can alter it, now or in future releases. Can anybody help? I use OOo 2.3.

Thanks.
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Re: What is BuildId property for?

Post by DrewJensen »

Well, I have no idea beyond a guess from the name. But I can give you the normal advice. Use this at your own risk, you have to figure in some release it will either start to have a value or will just disappear.
Former member of The Document Foundation
Former member of Apache OpenOffice PMC
LibreOffice on Ubuntu 18.04
Frank Schönheit

Post by Frank Schönheit »

Buildis is no hard-coded property. That is, a normal form doesn't have it. However, since 2.3 (or earlier, not sure ATM), forms support the XPropertyContainer interface, which allows adding properties at runtime, which then are even persistent. Don't know where your document originates from, but my guess would be somebody added the BuildID property for whatever purpose in the past.
mobi-doc

Post by mobi-doc »

I don't think ThisComponent (SwXTextDocument) supports XPropertyContainer. Only com.sun.star.comp.forms.ODatabaseForm supports it but when I try to addProperty to ThisComponent.DrawPage.Forms(0), I get an error that the method or property not found. It is strange...
B Marcelly
Volunteer

Post by B Marcelly »

BuildID exists for ordinary documents since OOo versions 2.0.x
You find this "property" on Writer, Calc, Draw, Impress documents.

This is not documented and IMHO could disappear without warning since it is probably of no use for the API user.
Bernard

OpenOffice.org 1.1.5 / Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1 / LibreOffice 5.0.5
MS-Windows 7 Home SP1