Replacement for FileMaker

Discuss the database features
rkheadl

Replacement for FileMaker

Post by rkheadl »

I was ready to upgrade to a newer version of Filemaker, but then I saw the price. I'm wondering if Open Office can replace Filemaker for me. I'm especially wondering if I can open a Filemaker database in Open Office.
Open Office 4.1.5 and iMac OS 10.11.6
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Replacement for FileMaker

Post by Villeroy »

Base is not a replacement for a fully blown development suite. No, it can not open any database at all. It may be able to connect to your tables through odbc or jdbc
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

It looks like ODBC drivers can be freely downloaded from Claris. With that, you can install your Filemaker developed resources as ODBC data sources on your system, and connect Base (or other software with DB client functionality) to those sources.
  • I do not know whether you get full functionality without further licensing. A functional but limited "trial version" is not uncommon, though I cannot see any statement towards such a limitation for the Filemaker ODBC driver.
  • You should expect to reach all your DB-stored data and utilize linking/dependencies, and possibly also see/use queries/views
  • Forms, menus and other framework components are most likely not available to Base.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

keme wrote:It looks like ODBC drivers can be freely downloaded from Claris.
Which makes perfect sense when you have an office suite on one hand and a Filemaker database on the other hand and you need a connection between both resources to create serial letters, labels, feed your calculation models etc. Mail merge is what >90% of all Base documents do. Most of these mail merges are connections to some spreadsheet. Although you can do much more sophisticated things with Base, you must not compare it with MS Access nor Filemaker.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice