[Solved] Connection 2 datasource not established

Discuss the database features
NWSailor

[Solved] Connection 2 datasource not established

Post by NWSailor »

I use mail merge about once a year and I always have a problem. I have a large spreadsheet and I want to make labels. I need to connect to the database to insert additional fields into the label template. It appears that the database is not connected to the speadsheet (a guess). When I open the labels window (new > labels) it shows a database but no tables or fields. Using a file navigator I can view the database's location. I have tried to reset the location of the database from the speadsheet but this does not solve the problem.

When I do F4 I see what I think is the database that I think is connected to the spreadsheet but when I right click on the tables icon of the db I get the message "The connection to the external data source could not be established. No SDBC driver was found for the URL." The file path is correct.

This worked several months ago when I made some labels. I did do some re-organization of the file structure here but I reset the file path to what I think is the correct database. I'm not positive that the lack of an SDBC driver is the source of the problem, but maybe.

Perhaps my concept of the relationship between the spreadsheet and database is incorrect. My concept is that when one creates a spreadsheet the data for that spreadsheet is kept in a database that is automatically created and this is used when using mail merge?

Thank you in advance for any helpful advice you can give me on solving this problem! I'm flummoxed after spending several hours trying to solve it.

Ken
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 running on Windows 10
FJCC

Re: Connection 2 datasource not established

Post by FJCC »

The data used by the mail merge are in the spreadsheet and the Base file only serves as a bridge between Writer and the spreadsheet. The easiest thing to do is probably to make a new Base file. Select the menu File -> New -> Database. Choose Connect To An Existing Database and set the drop down list to Spreadsheet. Click Next and use the Browse button to select the spreadsheet. Click Next and choose to register the database. Save it wherever you like. Try to use that database for your mail merge.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Open the spreadsheet and see if it is alright (contains expected data).
Open the database document and if you can't see any data fix the connection in Edit>Database>Connection... point to the spreadsheet document.
Open your text document/template with mail merge fields and turn on View>"Show Field Names". The fields show DBName.TableName.FieldName. Note the database name.
Having the database document showing the tables that are strored in the spreadsheet document and the name of the database which is requested by your mail merge fields, register the database document under the correct database name (see above posting by FJCC). Alternatively, register the database under any other name and change the mail merge fields via Edit>Change Database...
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
NWSailor

Post by NWSailor »

FJCC and Villeroy:

I got it working! You both gave me advice that helped me solve the problem. Thanks very much for your help! Really appreciate your support of OpenOffice which I have been using for over 6 years. A great open source program!

Ken
OpenOffice 4.1.1 running on Windows 10