Driver Class ' ' could not be loaded

Discuss the database features
jadedfalcon

Driver Class ' ' could not be loaded

Post by jadedfalcon »

My apologies if this really is posted elsewhere, I only navigated through the first few pages and anything that came close to my issue, wasn't my issue.

To begin; I have a DB file that I have spent many, many hours creating, adjusting, modifying. This particular day, I had been in the file for a few hours entering data into the fields. Enter record, make adjustments, update information, proceed to next record. And this was the norm until I tried going to the next record, and I could not move out of the current record until I undid any changes I made within it. Same thing for the next record, or any record. It was as though the save function just would not.

Even closing the file was proving to be troublesome. Once I was finally able to close Open Office and thus reboot the computer, I tried to re-enter the DB file. It opens without protest until I try to go from "Forms" to "Tables." Then I get this message;

*****************************************************************************************
The connection to the data source "filename" could not be established.

The driver class ' ' could not be loaded.
*****************************************************************************************

Clicking the "More" button displays 3 errors in the error list, but the only error that has any kind of information just shows;

SQL Status: HY000

The driver class ' ' could not be loaded.

"JDBC" shows in the bottom bar of the file window.

Steps I have taken to correct this issue:
A. Check for updates of Open Office and JRE. None available.

B. Open "Task Manager" to stop all processes and instances of "soffice." None found. Rebooted.

C. Uninstall / Re-install Open Office and JRE
1. Uninstall (through Windows) Open Office.
2. Uninstall (through Windows) JRE.
3. Download JRE removal tool and ran. No instances found.
4. Rebooted.
5. Downloaded and installed latest version of JRE.
6. Downloaded and installed lastest version of Open Office.
7. Rebooted.

D. Attempted to connect to "external data source."
1. Had no clue what I was doing.
2. Returned to searching the forum
3. Gave up.
4. Created account here.

The file still shows less than 300KB in size, so I don't want to give up on it. :crazy:
Open Office 4.1.9 on Windows 10
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Re: Driver Class ' ' could not be loaded

Post by UnklDonald418 »

Is the database in question an Embedded database (the default when you create a new Base database where everything is stored in the .odb file) or a Split database, a JDBC connection where the tables are stored in a separate .data file ?
If it's an Embedded database it sounds like the .odb file is corrupt. In that case someone experienced in Base data recovery might be able to get back at least some of the data, although in most cases all is lost.
Database unable to open

You could see if there might be a usable backup by selecting Tools>Options>OpenOffice>Paths>Backups. That will show the path to any automatic backups that might have been saved.

If it's a split database (JDBC connection) the place to check is sub Setup in the Embedded macro to be sure sClassPath is looking in the correct place for the hsqldb.jar file.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
jadedfalcon

Re: Driver Class ' ' could not be loaded

Post by jadedfalcon »

UnklDonald418 wrote:Is the database in question an Embedded database (the default when you create a new Base database where everything is stored in the .odb file) or a Split database, a JDBC connection where the tables are stored in a separate .data file ?

I would have used the default setup. And I could find no .data file.
If it's an Embedded database it sounds like the .odb file is corrupt. In that case someone experienced in Base data recovery might be able to get back at least some of the data, although in most cases all is lost.
Database unable to open

You could see if there might be a usable backup by selecting Tools>Options>OpenOffice>Paths>Backups. That will show the path to any automatic backups that might have been saved.
I went to the folder for the backups and there were some 256 files. But alas, they were all 0 KB in size. Opening one gives me a "Filter Selection" dialog, but the only options that come close to being what the file should be would not open.
If it's a split database (JDBC connection) the place to check is sub Setup in the Embedded macro to be sure sClassPath is looking in the correct place for the hsqldb.jar file.
It looks like all is lost for me. My only consolation is that it truly was nothing important. I appreciate your response. Thank you.
Open Office 4.1.9 on Windows 10