The RIGHT way...

Discuss the database features
TheNamelessPoet

The RIGHT way...

Post by TheNamelessPoet »

OK so I reached out last year (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=101679) but now I am trying to do it the right way.

1st thing though. Can I copy and paste the data directly into the database? Each tournament I am in (at least 10-20 a day) has about 100+ columns with 330ish lines each.

I am going to take the data from those sheets and output it in some usable way, and in some cases apply formula's. I started watching some youtube video's on how/what to do, but each situation seems like they go about it differently.

Also I am getting an error saying OpenOffice requires a Java Runtime Environment please install. I have installed Java Version 8 Update 281 so i am not sure what that is about should I be concerned?
I am using Apache 4.1.6
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: The RIGHT way...

Post by Villeroy »

100+ columns and lots of tables? No, databases do not work like this. I just added a simple real-world example Simple turnament database [Soccer, German Bundesliga]

There is one Club table with all the club names.
There is one Seasons table with year numbers of seasons.
There is one table mapping clubs and seasons to each other.
There is one "main table" named "Matches" with all venue data for all seasons and all clubs.

At first you create a valid relational database strictly following the design patterns of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Database_normalization
Then you may transform some spreadsheet, so its columns and rows follow the exact same rules. Then you will be able to paste some sheet cell ranges into the given structure of a database.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Re: The RIGHT way...

Post by UnklDonald418 »

Apache Open Office requires 32 bit JAVA
Select Tools>Options>OpenOfiice>Java to select an installed version.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11