[Solved] Choosing data for records

Discuss the database features
simsy

[Solved] Choosing data for records

Post by simsy »

Folks,

I've a simple database, just one table. I've created it without problem, but there are two things I'd like to be able to do, if possible;

1) One of the fields is set to be "Boolean", because it can only have one of two values. Can I set this so that the two values are two different text strings, i.e. "Main" and "Table", or does it have to be a yes/no via a tick ?

2) Another field I want to restrict to any of 3 possible text values. Can I do this, either in table data entry, or via form entry? Perhaps via a "dropdown" as per data validation, via a list, in Excel?

(I realise that the answer to the first may be to use the solution to the second question... whatever that is!)

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards,

Simsy
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Solved.
QuazzieEvil
Volunteer

Re: Choosing data for records

Post by QuazzieEvil »

yes, the answer to both is the same. do your data entry in a form. for each of these two columns, bind a list box which has the options

you can either have tables with the options, and set the list box data source to this tables, or you can enter the list options directly into the list box. it is either ALT+ENTER or CTR+ENTER or SHIFT+ENTER? (have not done that in a while as I mostly use tables as list sources) to add multiple entries to a list box.
kabing
Volunteer

Post by kabing »

It is my understanding that BOOLEAN fields can have one of three values: TRUE (or 1), FALSE (or 0), or NULL. One of the tricky things is that with the standard checkbox appearance of BOOLEAN fields in forms and tables, it is impossible to tell the difference between a FALSE and a NULL entry.

But QuazzieEvil has more expertise than I do. So maybe I'm misunderstanding something?

kabing
NeoOffice (app store version) OpenOffice.org 4.1 and LibreOffice 4.3 on Mac OS X El Capitan
OpenOffice.org 4.1.2 on Windows 10 (Previously on Vista)
simsy

Post by simsy »

Thank you...

It's taken me a bit of working out... but I seem to have managed it!

Regards,

Simsy