Frequent crashes using OpenOffice database interface

Discuss the database features
Bruce in Louisville

Frequent crashes using OpenOffice database interface

Post by Bruce in Louisville »

Hello all! Sorry for the multiple questions. You've all been very helpful.

Here's my question: Is OO prone to crashing? So far today, it's crashed about 20 times. (As in, try to execute an action like run a query, and the app disappears, then you get the "Report" dialog.)

I've spent some time getting data into two tables, and wanted to test things by setting up a number of queries. The latest was a LEFT JOIN that should have not had a problem. But, crash.

I really want to make this work. But, I have a small business to run, and can't afford to put my data into a tool that isn't reliable.

Thoughts?
Open Office 4.1.8 ??? Mac OS Catalina (soon to be Big Sur)
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Crashes

Post by Villeroy »

Install https://libreoffice.org
It works parallel to OpenOffice. I think it is a lot more stable on recent computer systems. It is the actively developed successor to OpenOffice.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Bruce in Louisville

Re: Frequent crashes using OpenOffice database interface

Post by Bruce in Louisville »

I tried Libre Office first. After of couple of hours, I could never get the database to work, as it wanted a JRE installed. I kept installing them, it kept complaining, so I finally uninstalled it and tried Apache Open Office.

I can try it again, but the JRE thing is a puzzle. I looked through the forums and the documentation, and I thought I did what they said.
Open Office 4.1.8 ??? Mac OS Catalina (soon to be Big Sur)
robleyd

Re: Frequent crashes using OpenOffice database interface

Post by robleyd »

MacOS may need a little extra pampering when it comes to Java. Tutorial: Mac FAQ Q06/A06 may be helpful, as may Troubleshooting Open/LibreOffice and Java.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers