[Solved] Connecting JAVA runtime to BASE database page

Discuss the database features
RetiredGuy

[Solved] Connecting JAVA runtime to BASE database page

Post by RetiredGuy »

I've started to create a data base table and got to the point where a message popped open saying I needed to have a JAVA Runtime program linked before I could go on.

I've downloaded a JAVA runtime now how do I put it in that page asking for it? There does not seem to be anyway to ADD the JAVA to that page. Does the JAVA code I downloaded need to be in a specific directory? Does the JAVA program need to be Opened / unzipped? I don't know that it is zipped since it doesn't have a .zip file extension. I looked through the HELP menu but didn't find anything?

I'm in OpenOffice 4.1.7.

Thanks

RetiredGuy
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added signature, so responders know what suite and OS ReturedGuy uses; Tagged ✓ [Solved]
OpenOffice4.1.7 Windows10
RoryOF

Re: Connecting JAVA runtime to BASE data base page

Post by RoryOF »

You need a 32 bit Java, as OpenOffice is 32 bit. Install one such and restart your computer. OpenOffice should then pick it up.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RetiredGuy

Post by RetiredGuy »

Where can I find that 32bit java runtime to download? I did a search and the first 2 places I found, when i started the download, I got a message that that program was "put in quarantine" because of some small piece of code in them.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

From memory, you should be able to download from
http://www.java.com

and again from memory, the program you need will be named with i586 in its name. I think I downloaded a complete offline installation pack from their archive section, but that was some years ago, so am not certain.
RetiredGuy

Post by RetiredGuy »

Thank You! I grabbed it and got it installed. After dinner I'll see what I can do with it and the BASE data base program.

RetiredGuy
giuvi

Post by giuvi »

RoryOF wrote:From memory, you should be able to download from
http://www.java.com

and again from memory, the program you need will be named with i586 in its name. I think I downloaded a complete offline installation pack from their archive section, but that was some years ago, so am not certain.
I needed this help today too, after OO 4.1.7 installed!
Thanks a lot!

But a question about this item:
Does anyone know, why the the jre is not included in the OO download package? I think, it is so indispensable for working as the UNO envirroment.

bye
AOO 4.1.15 on openSUSE Leap 15.5
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Connecting JAVA runtime to BASE database page

Post by Villeroy »

OpenOffice runs perfectly well without any Java installed on the system. You can even connect to non-Java databases.
Troubleshooting Open/LibreOffice and Java
OpenOffice itself is hardly developed anymore. Any Java version shipped with OpenOffice would be an outdated version. An actively developed office suite would offer a 64-bit version for MS Windows.
9 years ago most developers started a new office suite forked from OpenOffice 3.3. It comes as a 64-bit version for Windows and they removed most of the Java dependencies. https://libreoffice.org/ solved the Java problem and dozends of others.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
giuvi

Post by giuvi »

Villeroy wrote:OpenOffice runs perfectly well without any Java installed on the system. You can even connect to non-Java databases.
Sorry, but I can not confirm that. At least not in OpenSUSE and I did not find any useful jre for AOO in its official repositories. So I had to download the right one from Oracle.
Villeroy wrote:OpenOffice itself is hardly developed anymore. Any Java version shipped with OpenOffice would be an outdated version. An actively developed office suite would offer a 64-bit version for MS Windows.
Maybe did you mind "... is not hardly developed anymore."
Anyway, I understand this point only partially. Because a hint as "work around", describing which version and where to get it, while installing AOO would help many users ... or much as add-on.
Villeroy wrote:9 years ago most developers started a new office suite forked from OpenOffice 3.3. It comes as a 64-bit version for Windows and they removed most of the Java dependencies. https://libreoffice.org/ solved the Java problem and dozends of others.
I know LO almost well and I tested it some years ago (under OpenSUSE) for a long time. As it run very slow and made a lot of problems with dialogue windows, I decided to use AOO instead.

bye

Troubleshooting Open/LibreOffice and Java
AOO 4.1.15 on openSUSE Leap 15.5
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Many linux users (and other O.S.?) are changing to Java from https://adoptopenjdk.net They may have a version for OpenSUSE.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Linux users don't have to bother about anything. They simply use the pre-installed Java with the pre-installed LibreOffice and get a better user experience. If someone insists in using Apache OpenOffice (I gave up on AOO, particularly because of crashing database forms), one can choose between 64 and 32 bit versions. The Java problem exists on Windows only because AOO devs fail to compile a stable 64-bit version for Windows. Therefore you have to install 32-bit AOO and a 32-bit Java. There is nothing wrong with installing as many Java instances as needed to run all of your Java programs.

https://www.openoffice.org/download/common/java.html
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice