Proper Function giving Basic Syntax Error

Discuss the database features
Jawspro

Post by Jawspro »

Edit: New question in Create HSQL 2.3 User Function: PROPER ( Mixed Case ) moved to new topic. — MrProgrammer 2020-06-17 22:32 UTC 
Hi. I'm back with more questions. I don't think it will come as any surprise to anyone but I have not coding experience. I am also new to LibreOffice. Formerly I used a Database system that included the coding for Proper and allowed to copy parts or all the previous record.

I have a problem at the beginning of the run. At the first line it tells me there is a "Basic Syntax Error". And I get no further than that message.

Any help offered would be greatly appreciated, but like Denzel Washington said "Explain it to me like I'm a 5 year old".

Thank for any help you all can offer.
Jodi
OpenOffice4.1.5
Sliderule
Volunteer

Re: Create HSQL 2.3 User Function: PROPER ( Mixed Case )

Post by Sliderule »

Your above question, is a new topic from the use of PROPER function, therefore, start a new forum topic and be sure to identify the database back-end you are using, AND, exactly what you are doing when you received Basic Syntax Error" .
 Edit: Moved as suggested, Sliderule 
Additionally, you say you are new to LibreOffice, yet, you indicate you are using OpenOffice 4.1.5, please be specific of your Base environment.

Sliderule
Jawspro

Post by Jawspro »

Thanks for the heads up. Question: Why don't the writers of LibreOffice Base include the functions for copying the previous record and the utilization of the proper caps in their coding of a new release? I cannot be the only person who is frustrated by these two omissions.
OpenOffice4.1.5
Sliderule
Volunteer

Post by Sliderule »

I'll repeat myself again:
Sliderule wrote:
Your above question, is a new topic from the use of PROPER function, therefore, start a new forum topic and be sure to identify the database back-end you are using, AND, exactly what you are doing when you received "Basic Syntax Error" .
Sliderule
Jawspro

Post by Jawspro »

I was given the following information from a very kind LibreOffice user. The problem I am having is from the beginning a "BASIC syntax error" comes up and I do not know what that means. When I remove the Sub it looks for the Sub. I know nothing about program language and very little about Base.

Any help would be great. Thank you.

Also, I have seen that some other people have had questions on the Copy Function [parts of one record to another] and the use of Proper Function. Why are these functions not included when writing the new code for BASE? Just from looking at the topics for Beginners I see others who have similar questions.

Code: Select all

Sub CREATE FUNCTION PROPER (INPUTSTRING VARCHAR(32000))
   RETURNS VARCHAR(32000)
   LANGUAGE SQL
   NOT DETERMINISTIC
   CONTAINS SQL
   -- Be sure to return a NULL value if input is NULL
   RETURNS NULL ON NULL INPUT
   BEGIN ATOMIC
      DECLARE PROPERCASE VARCHAR(32000);
      -- Bring back all characters as lower CASE
      SET PROPERCASE = LOWER(INPUTSTRING);
      -- When PROPERCASE is blank, no need to proceed so end it here
      IF PROPERCASE = '' THEN
         RETURN PROPERCASE;
      END IF;
      -- Use UNNEST, and REGEXP_SUBSTRING_ARRAY to bring back unique array of
      -- NOT [^\p{javaLowerCase}] followed by [\p{javaLowerCase}]
      FOR
          SELECT DISTINCT REG_ARRAY as REG_CHAR FROM UNNEST(REGEXP_SUBSTRING_ARRAY(PROPERCASE,'[^\p{javaLowerCase}][\p{javaLowerCase}]')) AS T(REG_ARRAY)
      DO
         SET PROPERCASE = REPLACE(PROPERCASE,REG_CHAR,UPPER(REG_CHAR));
      END FOR;
      -- Make sure first character is UPPER CASE
      SET PROPERCASE = UPPER(SUBSTR(PROPERCASE,1,1)) || SUBSTR(PROPERCASE,2);
   RETURN PROPERCASE;
END Sub
Last edited by robleyd on Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added Code tags
OpenOffice4.1.5
RusselB

Re: Proper Function giving Basic Syntax Error

Post by RusselB »

Suggest you read Sliderule's post regarding the custom PROPER function, which you can find here
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

It looks like Jawspro is trying to use Sliderule's function from the linked topic; note that the linked topic has the warning "for use with HSQL database back-end ( starting with HSQL Version 2.3 ) . . . BUT NOT HSQL Version 1.8 . . . NOR the Embedded Version of HSQL"

If you are using the embedded database with LibreOffice, either HSQL or Firebird - about which you haven't told us - then you can expect it not to work.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Sliderule
Volunteer

Post by Sliderule »

Sliderule - [url]https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=72206[/url] wrote:
Instructions to add this user defined function to your version of HSQL 2.3 back-end, and, this needs to be done, only once:
  1. Open your OpenOffice / LibreOffice Base file ( *.odb )
  2. Click on the Tables icon on the left
  3. From the Menu: Tools -> SQL...
  4. In the Command to execute box, copy and paste the following code:

Code: Select all

CREATE FUNCTION PROPER (INPUTSTRING VARCHAR(32000)) 
       RETURNS VARCHAR(32000) 
       LANGUAGE SQL 
       NOT DETERMINISTIC 
       CONTAINS SQL 
       -- Be sure to return a NULL value if input is NULL 
       RETURNS NULL ON NULL INPUT 
       BEGIN ATOMIC 
          DECLARE PROPERCASE VARCHAR(32000); 
          -- Bring back all characters as lower CASE 
          SET PROPERCASE = LOWER(INPUTSTRING); 
          -- When PROPERCASE is blank, no need to proceed so end it here
          IF PROPERCASE = '' THEN 
             RETURN PROPERCASE; 
          END IF; 
          -- Use UNNEST, and REGEXP_SUBSTRING_ARRAY to bring back unique array of 
          -- NOT [^\p{javaLowerCase}] followed by [\p{javaLowerCase}]
          FOR 
              SELECT DISTINCT REG_ARRAY as REG_CHAR FROM UNNEST(REGEXP_SUBSTRING_ARRAY(PROPERCASE,'[^\p{javaLowerCase}][\p{javaLowerCase}]')) AS T(REG_ARRAY) 
          DO 
             SET PROPERCASE = REPLACE(PROPERCASE,REG_CHAR,UPPER(REG_CHAR)); 
          END FOR; 
          -- Make sure first character is UPPER CASE 
          SET PROPERCASE = UPPER(SUBSTR(PROPERCASE,1,1)) || SUBSTR(PROPERCASE,2); 
       RETURN PROPERCASE; 
    END

5. Press the Execute button
  6. After it runs ( very quickly ) . . . press the Close button
  7. You may now use the function . . . PROPER, for example, with any SELECT or UPDATE statement :)
The above is NOT a OpenOffice / LibreOffice Basic macro. It is HSQL user defined Function ( CREATE FUNCTION PROPER (INPUTSTRING VARCHAR(32000)) ).

Therefore, it is able to be used with any programme using HSQL ( Version 2.X ) as a database back-end, including but not limited to OpenOffice / LibreOffice Base.