OpenOffice Base getting Not Responding when trying to create

Discuss the database features
muthca

OpenOffice Base getting Not Responding when trying to create

Post by muthca »

I am running Open Office 4.1.7 successfully on my laptop, however I am having trouble opening the Base. I am creating a new database and want to edit it and either create tables or forms and it hangs in a Not Responding state no matter what I try to do.
I am running Windows 10 (64 Bit) with the latest update, 8GB RAM. The database will be on a networked drive with plenty of space.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: OpenOffice Base getting Not Responding when trying to cr

Post by Villeroy »

Even if you would try LibreOffice, which is the modern cousin of OpenOffice with a 64-bit version for Windows, you would not get a working database in a single file shared on a cloud server.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
muthca

Post by muthca »

Valleroy,
So how do I get a database created? I have MySQL installed and working but it is to big, I was hoping for something smaller
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

What OpenOffice creates from scratch is a so called "database document" with an embedded HyperSQL database. A "database document" is not a true document. It is a package including a database which gets installed in your system's temporary folder when you access it and which is uninstalled (wrapped back into the package) when you close the connection. This is a good enough concept for small databases on a local computer with one local user at a time. HyperSQL is a stand-alone product for Java developers: https://hsqldb.org/.
A database server for simultaious multi user access is a completely different thing.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice