[Solved] AUTORUN macro to open a LO Base form

Discuss the database features
dmb1319

[Solved] AUTORUN macro to open a LO Base form

Post by dmb1319 »

I am very new to LO, trying to break the microsoft paradigm.

In a MSAccess database, I created a simple macro and named it AUTORUN.
When I double clicked the database file name or assigned a it to a shortcut and clicked it, the AUTORUN macro ran and opened a database form.

In LOBase I had to look around and fnally found macros under the Tools menu. There, I'm not exactly sure what I am looking at. It LOOKS a little like a Microsoft VB editor. Is this all there is in LOB? I have some very limited programming skills. Do I have to learn LOBasic to create a simple autorun macro to open a database form when the database is run?

I did see something about connecting a Writer document to the database form and creating a shortcut to the Writer document to open the form. I am sure I must have misunderstood that. It just doesn't make sense.

Thank you for any help anyone can give me on this.
Last edited by dmb1319 on Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeB
Open Office 4./1.9 on WinX
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: AUTORUN macro to open a LO Base form

Post by Villeroy »

OpenEmbedded can open any embedded form or report by passing the database document, the hierarchical name and a boolean value.
sHierarchicalName: "MyForm" or "Subfolder/My Form" (embedded forms and reports can be organized in folders)
bReport: False to address a form, True for a report.
The 2 _Button routines are examples for push buttons keeping the hierarchical names as "additional info" property. If the code is embedded in a database document, ThisDatabaseDocument refers to the embedding document.

Code: Select all

Sub Open_Report_Button(e)
REM specify the hierarical name in the button's "Additional info" field
	sName = e.Source.Model.Tag
	OpenEmbedded(ThisDatabaseDocument, sName, bReport:=True)
End Sub

Sub Open_Form_Button(e)
REM specify the hierarical name in the button's "Additional info" field
	sName = e.Source.Model.Tag
	OpenEmbedded(ThisDatabaseDocument, sName, bReport:=False)
End Sub

Sub OpenEmbedded(odb, sHierachicalName$, bReport As Boolean)
	if bReport then
		container = odb.ReportDocuments
	else	
		container = odb.FormDocuments
	endif
	obj = container.getByHierarchicalName(sHierachicalName)
	obj.open()
End Sub
I can offer another macro which saves all contained forms of a document as stand-alone form documents so you can open the forms without Base document. That macro is contained in FreeHSQLDB v.0.3. Sooner or later you will extract an embedded HSQLDB anyway.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: AUTORUN macro to open a LO Base form

Post by Villeroy »

Of course you have to learn programming before you program.
Install my FreeHSQLDB extension.
Tools>Macros>Basic... [Alt+F11] > MyMacros > FreeHSQLDB > FreeForms > Main, [Run] extracts the forms into the same database directory, mirroring any subfolder structure of the forms container. It is a good idea to register the database in Tools>Options>Base>Databases before running the macro. The macro extracts everything from the forms container keeping the original forms in place. Delete what you don't want/need.
-------------------------------------
How to use my macro to open the embedded form:
1) Tools>Options... Security, button [Macro Security...] Level "Very High", tab "Trusted Sources" and add one or more directories for documents calling any macro code.
2) Open your Base document
3) Tools>Macros>Basic... [Alt+F11], select your database document and click [New...]
4) Add the following code to the new module embedded in your database document:

Code: Select all

Sub AutoOpen()
OpenEmbedded(ThisDatabaseDocument, "MyForm", False)
End Sub

Sub OpenEmbedded(odb, sHierachicalName$, bReport As Boolean)
       if bReport then
          container = odb.ReportDocuments
       else   
          container = odb.FormDocuments
       endif
       obj = container.getByHierarchicalName(sHierachicalName)
       obj.open()
End Sub
5) Replace the word "MyForm" with the actual name of your form in double-quotes.
6) Back to the database window, Tools > Customize... tab:Events, pick "Open Document", click [Macro...] navigate to Your_DB_Doc > Standard > Module1 > AutoOpen, [OK]
7) Save the database document to a trusted directory as specified in step 1.
The "Open Document" entry in Tools > Customize... tab:Events calls the specified macro named "AutoOpen" when the document is opened. Sub AutoOpen has only one line calling sub OpenEmbedded with 3 arguments. The database document (could be any other as well), the name of the form (may be hierarchical) and False (which means "not a report").
 Edit: To the casual reader who is unfamiliar with MS Access 
In addition to VBA, MSAccess has a GUI which allows mapping of predefined events to predefined actions. Predefined events are like our events in various event dialogs. Predefined actions are very similar to our dispatches. MSA offers a dialog where you can pick some event like "Database Open" with a predefined action like "Open Form" with the form name picked from a third listbox.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice