[Solved] Create drop down list for a table (without Forms?)

Discuss the database features
r3a4z1g5n6

[Solved] Create drop down list for a table (without Forms?)

Post by r3a4z1g5n6 »

Hello,

As a note: I am not trying to use Forms, I don't need them, I would honestly prefer to input data straight into a table and not use a form to do so.

I am trying to keep track of a budget and expenses. I have created 2 tables as such.

Budget only includes the name of the "budget name" and the "amount in budget."

Expenses include "Cost," "Budget Being Charged" to and "Date of Purchase."

I am trying to figure out how to make a drop down list in my Expenses table for the "budget being charged" column, because I want the "budget being charged" column to reference the "Budget Name" column for drop down options.

So for example, if I put "repair," "food" and "entertainment" in my Budget table then in the Expenses table I would be able to drop down a list that would allow me to pick "repair," "food" or "entertainment" for an individual entry.

**EDIT: I used set "Budget Name" in the Budget Table as a primary key and then linked it to the "Budget Being Charged" column in the Expenses Table and now I am unable to input any data into the "Budget Being Charged" column without receiving an error.
Last edited by r3a4z1g5n6 on Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Win10
F3K Total
Volunteer

Re: Create drop down list for a table (without Forms?)

Post by F3K Total »

Not possible in OpenOffice, but creating a form having these features, would need about 5 - 10 minutes.
  • MMove 1.0.6
  • Extension for easy, exact positioning of shapes, pictures, controls, frames ...
  • my current system
  • Windows 10 AOO, LOLinux Mint AOO, LO
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

I can't imagine why you would want to avoid using Base Forms. Using the Base GUI for direct table entry has very few tools and no additional controls. Base Forms are far more flexible, have better tools and can better enforce data entry constraints resulting in fewer data entry errors. Base Forms have List Boxes and Combo boxes that can be used to accomplish what you want.
For a Primary Key, using anything other than an Integer with Auto Value set to Yes, almost always leads to problems. As you are finding a Text field in most cases makes a poor Primary Key.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
r3a4z1g5n6

Post by r3a4z1g5n6 »

I appreciate all of your responses.

My desire to use the tables (and not forms) comes from using Access as my previous workplace to keep a record of problematic files (over 9000 of them) and entering data directly into the table was the way he handled the data entry for notes and fixes. That is where my bias comes from and why I desire to use them the way I have described.

The benefits of using a table that had a drop down list of categories came in handy when I needed to do an SQL query so I could quickly figure what needed done and provide progress reports. I wouldn't have to worry about accidentally misspelling a category that the drop down list contained in anything. It also gave me the ability to see all of the entries at once while editing a different entry (since all of the entries were edits and not hand inserted).

I will try to mark the topic as solved since there is no possible way to do this. Thank you all again!
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Win10
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Re: [Solved]Create drop down list for a table (without Forms

Post by UnklDonald418 »

Base is not an Access clone. The table GUI uses the same methods as Forms to connect to the underlying database, so the only advantage of the GUI is that it is predefined, whereas the user must design a Form. Base can do all those things you mention but only on a Form.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11