[Solved] Exclusive-or character

Discuss the formula editor
contestcen

[Solved] Exclusive-or character

Post by contestcen »

How do I get an exclusive-or operator in the formula editor? It is a circle with a plus sign inside.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Open Office 3.1 running on Windows 7
RusselB

Re: Exclusive-or

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
I think I found the character you are looking for.
To save you from having to do the search, the code to be entered is %Ux2295
I found it by calling up the Catalog, then switching to Special, clicking Edit, then going through all of the characters from the start in the dialog until I found the one that matched your description.
There may be others, I stopped when I found one that I thought looked close.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
contestcen

Post by contestcen »

Thank you. I must be doing this wrong. I clicked "Insert" then "Special characters." This showed a pane of various characters, the first of many. Then I scrolled down to the last pane which was titled "Special." (I assume this is what you meant by "Switching to Special.") This showed me a pane of Arabic characters. There were no math symbols. When I scrolled up I just found other alphabets. I tried searching for "Catalog" in Help, but it wasn't there. I tried clicking "Edit" but nothing happened. How can I enter the UTF code Ux2295 and get the corresponding character into my text? I tried copying the XOR symbol from a PDF, but that gave me gibberish.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Try the LibreOffice. The Math application contains the XOR sign. (The LO has more functions generally compared to the AOO)
XORinMATH.png
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
contestcen

Post by contestcen »

I managed to get the character I wanted. I realized that Ux2295 was equivalent to &#8853. I inserted this code into an HTML document, displayed it in a browser, and then copied that character into my Open Office document. It worked. Thanks to both responders.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Exclusive-or character

Post by Zizi64 »

If you want often use these special characters:

You can set it as an user defined item of the Autocorrect option in the applications Writer and Calc.

Or you can write a macro to insert such special characters.
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
contestcen wrote:How do I get an exclusive-or operator in the formula editor? It is a circle with a plus sign inside.
Use the oplus operator.
Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 18.36.40 .png
Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 18.36.40 .png (10.39 KiB) Viewed 10174 times
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
contestcen

Post by contestcen »

I tried it. It gave me a pale box outline with an inverted question mark inside.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I tried it. It gave me a pale box outline with an inverted question mark inside.
It works for me in my AOO 4.1.5 portable version. Insert operands before and after the sign.

If it will not work anyway, then (maybe) it is a font related problem. Check the used fonts.
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

Are you sure that an appropriate version of the font opens___.ttf is accessible? My AOO 4.1.5 Portable came with OpenSymbol v 102.10 (same as recent LibO).

BTW: Is there now a generally accepted agreement to use the 'oplus' as the standard symbol for the binary operator "exclusive or, XOR"? Well, there is a kind of tradition to use "+" for "OR" in Boolean Algebra despite the obvious disadvantages. Outside of that field I never did, and inside there wasn't much need of the XOR operation. To use the "circled plus" generally might not be the best choice.

===Amendment 2018-09-29 11:15 CEST===
The unicode has assigned the code point U+22BB to XOR. It should look like ⊻ . That's a good choice (accentuated OR).
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München