[Solved] Changing fonts for more characters

Discuss the formula editor
steve-o

[Solved] Changing fonts for more characters

Post by steve-o »

I'd like to change the font used for more than just my regular typed letters in a formula. I know that division bars and radicals are probably not rendered from a font, per se, but I want my Greek letters and plus signs and equals and such to be controllable.

For Greek letters... normally I call these from the catalog with their nicknames/shortcuts such as %DELTA. However, those nicknames bring in the character from pre-defined fonts, rather than matching the Math object's fonts as set by the "Format > Fonts..." dialog. I know I can edit the catalog, but the process is tedious. Surely the catalog is stored in a specific configuration file somewhere... is it possible that I could edit that file directly to quickly alter or add a lot of entries?

(Pasting a Greek letter into the editor instead of using the catalog shortcut does render them in the font that I set for the formula as a whole, but the shortcuts are much more convenient...)

For basic symbols like plus, equals, brackets... I don't see any way to adjust or even learn the font for these. I assume they're pulled from OpenSymbol like a lot of other Math stuff. Is that totally out of my control? They are definitely not affected by the "Format > Fonts..." dialog.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10
MrProgrammer

Re: Changing fonts for more characters

Post by MrProgrammer »

steve-o wrote:Surely the catalog is stored in a specific configuration file somewhere... is it possible that I could edit that file directly to quickly alter or add a lot of entries?
Sure, it's in your user profile in registrymodifications.xcu. However that is a large complex file containing much more than just Math's symbol catalog. The structure (unless you are a developer) is undocumented, I think. So you would have to determine what to change. Unless you are an experienced programmer and are familiar with manipulating XML via a text editor, this will be difficult. You will want to have good backups before beginning because damaging the file with incorrect settings will surely break OpenOffice in mysterious ways. If it were me, I'd do the experimentation on a new account on your machine, then transfer the knowledge to the main account you use. Resetting your profile will restore the default user profile, but you would lose any customization you've done. Good luck with that project. Others may want to know your solution so please report here how you succeeded.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).