[Solved] Modern Algebra Symbols

Discuss the formula editor
MH7

[Solved] Modern Algebra Symbols

Post by MH7 »

I have noticed that there are some symbols that are used in Modern (abstract) Algebra, that aren't necessarily listed in the math reference. "oplus", indicating a direct product between 2 groups, is one such example. I would like to track down a few others.

My most pressing need, is the sign for "is isomorphic to". (a tilde above an equal sign) How do I make this?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Open Office 4.3.1 with MacOS 10.10.1
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Re: Modern Algebra Symbols

Post by UnklDonald418 »

Insert %Ux2245 into the appropriate place in your formula to display the character I believe you are needing.
To find other symbols, in the Math module select Tools>Symbols to open the Symbols dialog.
Select Special for Symbol Set and the click on Edit to open the Edit Symbols dialog.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
MH7

Post by MH7 »

OK, that's really clunky, but it works. The only question is, how do I put a slash through it, to indicate "is not isomorphic to"?

Thank you.
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

that's really clunky, but it works.
If you use the Edit Symbols dialog I mentioned, you can add the symbol to the list of Special symbols. Once on the list you can select it in the Symbols dialog and Insert it into your formula.
how do I put a slash through it, to indicate "is not isomorphic to"?
The Unicode value should be %Ux2247 but it doesn't seem to work so it may not be available in the Math module.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

My most pressing need, is the sign for "is isomorphic to". (a tilde above an equal sign) How do I make this?
I just tried it in my LibreOffice 5.4.7:

for the ≅ sign like character (it will be a composed character but not one standalone Unicode character):

Code: Select all

tilde "="  
For the "approximately equals" sign:

simeq
And I can write Oplus characters in my LO. Maybe the working of this feature is depends on the installed Symbols character set. There are obsolete Symbols set in some version of the operating systems.
Oplus.png
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

The congruence/isomorphism symbol is hex unicode 2245.

A boper %Ux2245 B
"Boper" is perhaps not strictly necessary. It makes the symbol behave like a binary operator, which improves layout in some situations (and may also aid in discovering structural inconsistencies in your formula).
MH7

Post by MH7 »

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. Regarding the "clunky" use of the special characters, I say that it was clunky, because in the formula editor, it would not allow me to directly insert using the Unicode. I did, indeed, have to add it to the special characters menu, under "edit". And it seems that is a limited palette.

Now, the pressing issue, is the question that was missed in here... Where is the "not isomorphic to" symbol? How can I put a slash through what we've just discovered, to negate its value?
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

MH7 wrote:Where is the "not isomorphic to" symbol?
Perhaps you can use:
tilde "≠"
If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
MH7

Post by MH7 »

It works OK (doesn't quite look right) in the document, but not in the math editor.
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

how do I put a slash through it, to indicate "is not isomorphic to"?
I found it in the Arial Unicode MS font. Set the Edit Symbol dialog like this
notIsomorphic.png
Select the symbol and push the Add button. Then it should appear in the Symbols dialog Special list.
MH7

Post by MH7 »

THank you, that will do it.