[Solved] Disconnected/Misaligned Square Root Symbol

Discuss the formula editor
00jonjon

[Solved] Disconnected/Misaligned Square Root Symbol

Post by 00jonjon »

PROBLEM

I am writing an equation using in OpenOffice Writer, but the square root symbol is appearing disconnected in my equation. I have taken a screen shot of the equation in OpenOffice Writer, which can be seen in Figure 1. I was not sure whether or whether not the problem was unique to OpenOffice Writer, so I created an arbitrary equation in OpenOffice Math, and noted that the Square Root symbol was also disconnected, as can be seen in Figure 2. Please note that my OpenOffice version is 4.1.3, and my Operating System is Windows 10 with the build 14393.321.

QUESTION

How can I make the square root symbol connect to the line above the equation contained in the square root?

CODE

Here is the code I am using to create the equations.

Equation in Figure 1:

Code: Select all

r_{~parallel~} = {n^2 cos(%theta) - sqrt{n^2 - sin^2(%theta)}} over 
{n^2 cos(%theta) + sqrt{n^2 - sin^2(%theta)}} 
Equation in Figure 2:

Code: Select all

f(x)=sqrt(2x) +3
RELATED TOPIC

Here is a related post I found:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=73433&p=331291&hil ... ot#p331291
No solution is provided.

ATTACHMENTS

Bellow are is the odt file containing the equation that I am struggling with. There are also the figures that I used to explain the problem.
Attachments
Problem.odt
Unaligned Square Root Symbol in OpenOffice Writer
(13.56 KiB) Downloaded 669 times
Figure 2 - Unaligned Square Root Symbol in OpenOffice Math
Figure 2 - Unaligned Square Root Symbol in OpenOffice Math
Problem_2.PNG (2.22 KiB) Viewed 17688 times
Figure 1 - Unaligned Square Root Symbol in OpenOffice Writer
Figure 1 - Unaligned Square Root Symbol in OpenOffice Writer
Problem.PNG (4.28 KiB) Viewed 17688 times
Last edited by 00jonjon on Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
Thanks
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.3
Windows 10 - OS build 14393.321
MrProgrammer

Re: Disconnected/Misaligned Square Root Symbol

Post by MrProgrammer »

[Solved] Symbols font on Windows 8.1
There is discussion in that post which suggests that the same problem can affect Windows 10. I use a Mac and the equation looks OK to me so it may just be a font problem on Windoze systems. Read the link for solution details. I don't know if it will help with square root alignment.
Screen Shot 2016-10-28 at 21.27.19 .png
If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Martin_g's amended OpenSymbol font fixes some problems in the Math formula editor. Try it!

It seems that there are some glyphs (characters/character components) missing in the original font file, so Math tries to find a suitable glyph in a different font. If that font does not match glyph size, you get those ugly gaps or crossovers. In that thread, martin_g says that he only added some missing glyphs to the already existing OpenSymbol font.
Last edited by keme on Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
00jonjon

Post by 00jonjon »

SOLUTION

I followed keme's solution in the post above, installed the font, and it seems to have resolved the problem, as seen in figure 3 and figure 4 of this post. The code used for the equations in this post was the same as the code of the equations in my original post.

HOW TO RESOLVE THE PROBLEM

The solution that I propose is for OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10 - OS build 14393.321. It has not been tested on any other operating system.

1) Go to Martin_g's post as linked by keme above, and download the Open Symbol font.

2) Go to Control Panel -> Appearance and Personalization -> Fonts

3) Find the currently installed OpenSymbols font, and back it up via copy-paste to some location on your PC. This is a fail-safe in case the solution I propose does not work for you.

4) Copy paste (drag and drop) the download font into the Window showing the fonts on your PC. You should be prompted with a message to delete the currently installed OpenSymbols font that you backed up in step 3, and install the new font you are currently copy-pasting. Click OK.

5) Open up the file with the misaligned square root. Double click on the equation to make OpenOffice re-render it, as Martin_g suggests in his post. The square root should render properly now.

6) If the square root did not render properly, reinstall the font that you backed up in step 3 via the installation technique in step 4.

ATTACHMENTS

Bellow are the figures mentioned in the solution to the problem.
Attachments
Figure 3 - The equation with the corrected square root in OpenOffice Writer
Figure 3 - The equation with the corrected square root in OpenOffice Writer
Figure 4 - The equation with the correct square root in OpenOffice Math
Figure 4 - The equation with the correct square root in OpenOffice Math
Solution.odf
The file for the equation shown in Figure 4
(5.84 KiB) Downloaded 704 times
--
Thanks
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.3
Windows 10 - OS build 14393.321
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Disconnected/Misaligned Square Root Symbol

Post by John_Ha »

00jonjon

May I take the opportunity to thank you for such an excellent post describing your problem. It is precise, it describes the exact problem, it has images showing the problem, it references another post showing you have searched for an answer, and you have uploaded an example file - everything which is needed for analysis of the problem.

If only other posters could do the same :crazy:

Thank you.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
reliagility

Re: [Solved] Disconnected/Misaligned Square Root Symbol

Post by reliagility »

It is 2020 - four years since this problem was discovered. It is still happening.
Because of the lack of strong ownership a critical (nearly stop-ship) bug has been around for at least 4 years.
Time for me to uninstall Open Office.
Last edited by robleyd on Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove huge font size
Open Office 4.0 on many platforms